Distance vision monofocal

Posted , 3 users are following.

For those who had distance set with monofocal (no monovision), can you see dashboard and computer? Can you read text messages/non sustained reading without glasses? What was your target? Please specify if you use Eyhance or regular monofocal

Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I only have one eye set to distance, and is currently about -0.375 D on a spherical equivalent basis. It is an AcrySof IQ monofocal. I can see my car dash quite well. I do not see my computer well, but if I sit back to 2 feet from the computer I can, but that is too far away for me. Reading my iPhone would not be functional with this eye. I can read it if the text is large enough and I hold it away at arm's length, but that is not realistic.

• Edited

I have an Eyhance in one eye. Target was -0.21D Spherical Equivalent using thenIolMaster 700 with the Barrett Universal II formula. Final refraction is +0.25 Sphere and -0.75 Cylinder which works out to -0.125 SE. I can see my dashboard very clear and sharp and in fact in good light I can even read J1 and my iPhone 12 Mini and Apple Watch 9 45mm pretty well. Functional reading vision in normal / average light starts at 14". I have developed pretty bad PCO apparently (I'm told) so I think if I ever get that fixed my near might improve more. Functional near in normal light right after surgery originally started at 10". I think this result is highly unusual and your mileage may vary. A more typical outcome would be functional vision (i.e. not perfect but usable) starting at 24-32"

• Posted

Do you always carry glasses with you since the need to have functional near sightedness always come up? Was eyhance implanted via traditional or laser? Do you have astigmatism? Thank you.

• Edited

Traditional surgery. My astigmatism was mentioned in my original post (-0.75 Cylinder). I wear single vision glasses all the time because I only have one eye done and the other needs a -4D correction to get my to 20/40 best corrected distance in that eye (which still has a cataract). This difference (-4 in one lens and 0 in the other) might bother some people but I've gotten used to it. My regular all day glasses also help clear up my Astigmatism. I can read better with them off so I will take them off when reading the iPad at home on the couch for instance. I also have +1D single vision computer glasses which are not strictly necessary (I can read the computer fine without them) but they really sharpen things up amazingly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.