Distended gallbladder.....now a contracted gallbladder. What do I need to do.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an ultrasound about a little more than a month ago and I had a distended gallbladder. I went to the er last Saturday and now I have a contracted gallbladder. A couple of weeks ago I had a very sharp pain on my upper right side to the point where it hurt really bad. I have really bad chest pain, back pain, neck pain, arm pain, dizziness, and I've been having headaches. I've been having constant anxiety and I've had nervous breakdown couple of times today. The doctors diagnosed it as acute cholecystitis. I'm not sure though. I don't have an gallstones the last time I checked but I am not 100%. The hida scan said that my gallbladder couldn't fill up and I'm supposed to talk to a surgeon tomorrow. So can anyone give any insight. Please respond as quickly as can be.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What was your ejection fraction ? 
    • Posted

I'm sorry I don't know. I don't even know what that is. All I know is that my heart was normal.

• Posted

Its not the same EF as it is for the heart. 

This is EF for the gallbladder.

• Posted

Hi Alyssa, your gallbladder is obviously inflammed hence cholecyctitis, you don't need to have gallstones to have this condition. If your gallbladder isn't filling up properly then it isn't working and you would have a low ejection fraction so it needs to come out as it'll just get worse.

I know how painful it is, I didn't have gallstones and my gallbladder wasn't working either and they've taken my gallbladder out 2 weeks ago.

Go and see a surgeon and then talk to us again and we'll help you through it.

Take care x

• Posted

Thank you so much. I'm actually talking to a surgeon today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.