Distorted sounds

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I wonder if anyone can associate and advise of my symtoms. I have pulsating tinnitus in left ear only with hearing loss I am finding the next symptom hard to describe really and I hope u can g

Help me 😊..The sounds in my left ear are distorted so if someone speaks cant hear them very well but my families voices I cannot understand because the frequency is up and down when they speak the low pitch is completely wiped out and the higher frequency

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi didn't finish and the high frequency sounds like when music playing too loud that it distorts. ..hope u understand cause have hearing test on 21st and I cand explain very well 😊

• Posted

I get that distortion when I get tinnitus, it is definitely my biggest annoyance. Have you been diagnosed with Meniere's? Do you have TMJ?

• Posted

Hi Carroll. This distortion is a typical symptom of Meniere’s when it is active. Usually accompanied by pressure in the ear and pulsatile tinnitus. If you are lucky it will pass and you hearing will improve again although some damage may occur. I’ve had a bad couple of weeks with this and I’m due a check up and hearing test this month. I don’t seem to have many symptoms during the day apart from difficulty hearing but when I lie down at night the pulsating tinnitus starts. It stops at some point during the night and is gone by morning. Hopefully by the time you have your ent appointment things will have settled down. 
  • Posted

Hello Carroll...

I know exactly what you are describing. Because you are describing me. Lol Hearing loss with MD is not like typical age related hearing loss. I started noticing that songs didn't sound right to me anymore...and I could hear the background music on TV really well but not the voices of the people talking during the same show.

I wear bilateral hearing aids now and although they aren't perfect they help so much. Didn't think I'd be wearing hearing aids at age 58, but here we are smile The new aids are so computerized and able to be adjusted for you personally that is much better than the old days of just amplification. Mine are adjusted to really tone down background noise and also to take the sting out of high pitches because I have hyperacusis too.

Best of luck...your audiologist will hopefully help you a lot

All the best,

~Mary

• Posted

Don't get your hopes up with hearing tests, they have never given me any info that a simple tone app can't get me.  It may not be MD, a lot of other things mimic MD.  TMJ is a huge one. 

• Posted

Hi Carroll, I feel your pain! I’ve had so many problems with hearing loss. If you have a ent go to him! I had such loud noises in my right ear I thought I was going nuts. This started after my 3rd stroke. Dr still doesn’t know if loss is from strokes.

Then last December my ears would get so plugged I would try to pop them holding my nose. Don’t do that, I got so dizzy! Also has that pulse in my right ear. Also a chiming sound. So weird.

Come to find out I had a tear in my ear or a hole where fluid leaks through and causes dizziness. It did heal itself but now pulsing is back. So I guess year opened again. I have also a stapadedectimy that maybe causes the tear. So now getting exploratory surgery in July.

The last thing I did was get dual hearing aids and it really helps disguise the tinnitus. Hope I helped a bit! Good luck! Chris

• Posted

Mine went away when I started taking my diuretic daily and monitored my sodium intake. For example, eggs have sodium before you ever add salt! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.