Disturbed sleep

Posted , 9 users are following.

This is about the third time I ve written about this but I m really scared!  I seem to fall asleep at night and am then woken with a jolt with odd sensations and fear of something horrible!  Is this normal?  I'm 54 and had my last period 6 months ago.  I feel shaky and anxious and am not getting much sleep when it happens.  Does anyone else have anything like this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried doing some stretching before bed?  Or try some supplements to keep you sleeping?  I've heard Valerian Root is good and Cod liver fish oil too.

• Posted

Oh and another thing try some oils..  Last week I woke up at 4 and couldn't get back to sleep so I used some 'stress' oils and it did help me relax and go back to sleep.

• Posted

Yes, when I first started Perimenopause, it used to happen to me, to the point where I had to go to the ER couple times, almost like an anxiety attack, scary!!!. Once in a while still happens but very mild. I drink a lot of herbal teas and changed my diet to basically Organic, and I noticed it's helping a great deal! and, above all else I pray nightly before I sleep. Two of my favorite verses 1st Peter 5:7 Casting all your anxieties on him, Psalms 4: 8 I will both lay down in peace and sleep!!!. Praying your health will improve. God bless!!!

• Posted

Hey. I woke up with a start on night because I felt a weight on my chest. When I opened my eyes I saw a person in the dim light sitting on my chest. I screamed, lashed out with my arms and kicked my legs. I woke my husband who grabbed me and asked if I was ok. The figure disappeared and I just said yeh, fine, just a hallucination. This was when I had started getting hot flushes. My poor hubby had to put up with being woken up by my screams quite a few times. The hot flushes seem to have stopped (I had a period after a break of 160 days), as have the night terrors ... for the moment anyway. I have always had hallucinations when falling asleep, they are quite common and normal - Hypnagogic (during the transition from awake to asleep) and hypnopompic (during the transition from sleep to awake) hallucinations. I just came to accept them over the years and, in fact test them with curiosity and interest, like, how did my mind create that? Some people have much worse - they see very frightening things and are paralysed and cannot scream - those are known as night terrors. I think the hormone changes during menopause made these nightime events worse for me and made them more like night terrors. And I guess, for some people who have never experienced them before they could be quite scary.
  • Posted

Sorry you're having to deal with this.  I think it would help if you described the "odd sensations" you're experiencing.  There is a condition that is called "sleep paralysis" that is very similar to what Suki Girl describes below.

But on the spiritual side, years ago, because of certain conditions in my life,  I suffered from anxiety and stress and could not sleep. I am not Catholic, but I got two medals, St. Michael and St. Benedict and a Catholic friend was kind enough to have them blessed by her priest.   I wore them day and night on a chain around my neck and their presence brought me great peace.xx    

• Posted

Hello.

Yes, I have been jolted awake before. It feels like an adrenaline rush that you get when suddenly scared or surprised. There is a feeling of dread and my chest feels hot and prickly and burning and tight. This is due to hormanal changes. I also read that it is an adrenaline rush. I guess we all are actually awakened by an slight adrenaline rush every morning but for women going through perimenopause/ menopause everything gets out if whack and too much adrenaline is released and at the wrong times.

I have found that avoiding sugar and foods that become sugar like bread and pasta helps. I also see an acupuncturist once every week or every other week. This has helped a lot. I also saw a homeopathic doctor who gave me menopause remedy, that helped very much.

I can private message you the name of the homeopathic remedy. It is available at health food stores.

Take care.

Tracy

• Posted

Hi yes that sounds exactly what s going on. So frustrating and frightening!  I would love to know what the homeopathic remedy is. Thanks you ve made me feel a little better although dreading going to bed!!  
  • Posted

Hello.

I can't figure out how to private message you.

It is called Sepia. Check it out online as a homeopathic remedy for menopause symptoms. Health foods stores sell it.

I hope it helps:-)

Tracy

• Posted

I get these, i have been getting them for some 2 years or so now they decrease over Time. Granted it is scary and frightening. One thing to note u are not dying. These are called electric shock sensations almost line a elastic band going off inside your body. Our hormones play havoc wifh our bodies sometimes.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.