Disturbed sleep on Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Mirtazapine 30 and Venlafaxine together for 6 weeks now. My Venlafaxine got increased to 225 a week ago and I have been having horrendous sleep for the past few days. I sleep max 4hours and I feel exhausted during the day which is not helping my depression. Has anyone on similar combo has been struggling with sleep? Does it pass? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

When i had disturbed sleep when first taking this combination i assumed it was due to the depression and it did improve as the medications started working and the depression lifted. I do still get vivid dreams but i don't worry about them. I hope this reassures you.

• Posted

Yes, i've been stable on this combo (225mg ven and 30mg mirt) for 7 years and able to get on with my life.

• Posted

You are giving me hope! I will try to switch Ven to am to see whether it helps with sleep. I have to give it time... 
  • Posted

High Ala. Haven't had these in combination but have used both on their own. The mirt help with sleep but for me the venlafaxine disrupted my sleep. What type of ven are you on? If it's the XR version it's best to take it in the morning so as to minimise the disruption to sleep. It can take time to find a combination/dosage to suit everyone. I have been on ven since beginning of July (wrongly prescribed as later had to have dose lowered for Bipolar 2 diagnosis). Tried quetiapine for 4 and a half weeks and was then changed to Abilify which is helping alot more. If you are struggling with your sleep don't be afraid to ask your doctor if there are alternatives that could help you. All the best for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I have been taking my Ven XR in the evening so will switch to am to see whether it helps with sleep. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jackie, I slept a bit better but still kept waking up. I have had an unbearable headache all day... I increased to 225 a week ago. I hope it goes away by tomorrow. X
    • Posted

Hi Ala. Glad your sleep was a little better. It's so frustrating not getting any sleep. Hope your headache eases soon too. Always takes a wee while to settle into a new dose. Fingers crossed for you to get an even better nights sleep tonite. I have a whole arsenal of things to help my sleep: lavender spray, rescue remedy drops, chamomile tea, white noise app on my phone and the metal Indian head message thing you can buy off Amazon! . Maybe you've tried all these already. If not maybe they could help? Good luck. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.