Disturbing issue with stroke-like symptoms, tired of no dx tests.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 21 year old college student and I have had scary symptoms that have me thinking I may have a brain issue(what i believed to be stroke) about 5 months. I was a smoker of electronic cigs but stopped after symptoms. I also ate quite a bit of fat regularly since I liked peanut butter a lot. Not very active but have a BMI of 20.

So far my symtoms include:

1.) Debilitating Fatigue

2.) Short-Term Memory Loss - often times has me forgetting what i am doing as I am doing it

3.) Confusing words with others -example, I will say papaya instead of pineapple

4.) Unsteady gait- when I want to walk straight, I typically walk toward a wall or a door and also have problems with balance in general

I have had an MRI and a EEG but these test came up both negative. I had a ultrasound of my neck also and the blood was moving to the brain according to the doc. I went to a neurologist but it seemed she thought I was just panicky.

All symptoms came on suddenly.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I understand your frustration and concerns, especially at your your young age. I'm not a doctor I can only share my own personal experiences. I've had multiple Lacunar strokes and Ischemic Thrombosis Strokes, I've also been diagnosed with White Brain Matter, Complex Partial Seizure Disorders, Simple Partial Seizure Disorders, Cerebrovascular Disease. I deal with short -term memory loss which my neurologist says is due to the strokes I've had. I also deal with dizziness, severe headaches, balance issues and falling down on a daily basis 24/7 which is most likely due to the White Brain Matter disease but my neurologist is not sure. As we age the White matter in our brains does deteriorate but White Brain Matter disease is different, it's like a water hose and someone bends the hose linking it so now the water is not allowed to freely flow threw it, same applies here, so what happens is everything our white brain matter does is now restricted that causes new problems as well like balance issues and falling down, not able to learn new things etc. It's good you have already had both the MRI and ERG. That's how they found out that I had the strokes, white matter disease, Cerebrovascular disease and my seizure disorders. They have to use the MRI to find out if you've had a stroke. They found I had mine, they were able to locate in my brain where they happened they just don't know when. I've been on some very good medications, about 26 pills per day, but before that I was having 2-4 seizures a day, and the specific type is seizures I have every time I have one it will have an adverse affect on my memory and cause memory loss. I too have issues with my speech. In my head I know what I want to say but by the time the words come out of my mouth they are different, it doesn't happen all the time, it can happen if I'm stressed, I will also stutter so it's a bit and miss, some times I do get confused not knowing where I'm at. I've seen 5 different Neurologists before I found one I trust. My suggestion to you is don't let one neurologist stop you, go to another one. One neurologist told me I was having migraine headaches without even looking at my MRI scans or reading my paperwork. So there are good ones and bad ones. By what you've described you have something major going on neurologically and it needs to be addressed ASAP and it's not stress or anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.