DISULFARAM AND ALCOHOL FREE PRODUCTS AND FOOD/DRINK

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am shortly to start on Disulfaram until I go into Rehab to stop cravings of any kind as I know full well what could happen as a result if I drank, so it is a deterent although no cravings at the moment I am hitting the time e.g. 6 week stage of sobriety, when I often return to drink as not had counselling as yet for past issues.

I have hunted high and low to try to find a definitive list of food/drink and toiletries/make-up which has no trace whatsoever of alcohol, only ones I do find, when I do, are so expensive it is untrue! Can anybody point me in the direction of somewhere I can get this information please?

Also if somebody has been on it or on it now, have you any advice please as it scares me that I will start to take them and buy something which says alcohol free and I have a reaction because it has a form of it in?

Please help anybody as I am frightened, I know some things and my case worker has spoken about some, but even traces she says may make me seriously ill! Help!!! Thanks xx

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Disulfiram does absolutely zilch to help with cravings. It's outdated, dangerous and more of a punishment treatment (in my opinion). It's the equivalent of wiring an overweight person's mouth shut (again, in my opinion). Look how it's already got you so worried and scared.... that is energy that you are using that you could be focusing on recovery.

I was prescribed it many years ago and managed to whiteknuckle sobriety for the 6 months that I was on it. However, it was not a comfortable sobriety and because it didn't do anything to undo those changes in my brain that alcohol had caused, I ended up relapsing fairly quickly after the prescription was stopped.

Avoid anything and everything that MAY contain alcohol. That's the best advice I can give you. Check and double-check everything, do not let your guard down. It's the only way to be safe, though my understanding is that alcohol content needs to be a certain amount before it will trigger a response. Put it this way, it scared the hell out of me and I was not leaving anything to chance. It's the only way to be sure.

The thing is, rehab isn't going to remove those cravings either. You really should be asking about being prescribed campral because at least then it is already doing it's thing behind the scenes and helping reverse some of those changes in your brain that alcohol has caused. Did you have a proper discussion about which of the available medications might be best for you?

That would be moving forwards with your recovery.

Disulfiram is simply treading water.

• Posted

I will add that out of the three approved medications to help prevent a relapse - campral, naltrexone and disulfiram - the one you are going to be taking has the worst published results. It's just an old-fashioned medication designed to punish you if you succumb to your condition.

• Posted

Hi Joanna

I only just found your response as I did not get any email alert to let me know I have responses. Gosh I am even more worried now, they seemed quite positive about it at the Support Group I go to via my Case Worker? They did mention other yes but said that until I went into Rehab then it would be worth taking it to stop cravings and knowing if I drank etc I would be very ill would deter me, so I thought great.

Now I don't feel so great about it - I have heard of the other one and am going to email my Case Worker about this and what people are saying about it. NOt had my blood results back yet so cannot go on it until have - not sure what has happened to those 2 weeks now since they went off!!! I have to wait for their doctor to say live ok and come into talk about it and pick them up. Think I need to get in touch with the org' asap!! so thanks so much for this it has been very helpful and you are right I am worrying myself sick over what I can and cannot have, as i have a sensitive stomach as it is!

I will let you know what they say, not sure why I did not get an alert about responsed to my message?? I am going to leave this page open until hubby gets home and see what he says!

Thanks Kathy (aka Olga) xx

• Posted

OMG just read your last bit too, I am really really worried now I think I need to talk to my Case Worker tomorrow and ask her to call me urgently! May copy and paste your responses if that is ok with you or give her the gist of them if you would prefer, she doesn't know you anyway and isn't on here so should be fine. I really think I should have something else. So far I am doing ok on my own but getting to the stage where I normally relapse e.g 6 - 8 weeks sober. Ok at the moment no real cravings but concerned as well as rehab place wanted to go to they no longer use, closer for visitors for me which is important to me and that my parents at their age do not travel miles, nor hubby! So having to look at alternatives, hopefully still close enough for visitors.

Thanks again, I will let you know what I decide and what happens!!!

Kathy xx

• Posted

Feel free to copy and paste if you wish, but they may just say 'what does she know, we are the experts and we know what is best for you'.

Whereas it may be better to say that you have done your own research and found out that Disulfiram can be quite dangerous and that it doesn't do anything to help your cravings, whereas Acamprosate (Campral) helps reduce cravings and so is actually working on reversing some of the changes in your brain that your drinking has caused.

Suggest you google the NHS Choices Alcohol Treatment page, and use that as your 'source' for this information. On there it lists the other medications and also some more information about what you should avoid if you do go on the Disulfiram. I am not sure if I add the link to here it will stop my reply to you being shown. So, I will reply and just underneath in my next post I will try add the link.

• Posted

Thanks so much Joanne that is really kind of you and will take a look and yes will say I have done research, I did research when in my first marketing job lol and tend to do a lot now for different things. You've been great and I will ask about Campral! K xxx

• Posted

Hi Robin - are you the same Robin I used to chat with a couple of years ago? not sure, just thought would ask, yes what would we do will talk to my Case Worker today

• Posted

Thanks Robin, but honestly I know that there are others who would respond with the same type of information.

😃

• Posted

hi Kathy same Robin 4 years here. Keep assisting and keeping everyone happy...if possible😁 Robin

• Posted

Well I for one am glad you are still around, I am lucky to be but won't go into it right now, when I am ready and Joanne you were great thanks! Suffice to say have had a very bad few years to say the least!!! I've discussed meds with Case Worker who rang this morning to discuss bloods, seeing gp mon at CGL and starting meds and probably going to change meds to the one you suggested Joanne. Something happened to day big time which really upset me very much, normally I would head for the booze and the cravings were terrible, but looked back at my work book and thought what will I gain - nothing but even worse things happening. So sitting eating tea and watching TV as I have a Paw Patrol cake to do tomorrow for Saturday - have cake studio and doggie bakery lol! Do a bit not much as on PIP Benefit whilst I sort myself!!! Kathy xxx thanks both again please stay in touch it keeps me sane! xx

• Posted

hi Kathy same Robin 4 years here. Keep assisting and keeping everyone happy...if possible😁 Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.