disulfiram

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking disulfiram for the last year or so. I am pleased to say that it had no side effects for me and worked really well. I admitted to being an alcoholic three years ago. The hardest thing I've ever had to do. I tried support groups, AA, counselling, which helped in the beginning but then discovered disulfiram through my doctor. It was a bit like my life line because I knew whilst on this I couldn't drink and it really helped. I was told I could stay on it for as long as I needed, which was great up until about a month ago, when I went for my repeat prescription and was told that it had now been taken off the market. I've now had to change to a new tablet called campral, which I don't like as I have to take five tablets a day. It works in pretty much the same way. The main reason I'm writing this is to ask if anyone else out there has taken disulfiram and encountered the same problem and also does anyone know why its no longer available and will it ever come back on the market. Look forward to hearing from anyone who may be able to help me.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello i am the wife of an alcoholic but he wont admit to it.

I was looking for the drug disulfiram & i found you can buy it on line from a company in canada.

hope this helps you

unhappy wife

• Posted

I have checked with our pharmacist who writes the Drug Information Leaflets for Patient UK and disulfiram has not been discontinued in the UK. The best thing to do is talk to your doctor or pharmacist if there was a reason your medication was changed. This would also be safer than trying to buy medication on the internet.
  • Posted

i have recently been put on disulfiram so it is still available iv only been on it 2 weeks ask your gp again i live in scotland it may be different where you live
  • Posted

Hi, I was put on both disilfuram, and camprol, whilst in detox in January this year, and still take both daily.

They work in different ways... the disilfuram changes the way alcohol is metabolised in your body, so that it causes a horrible effect if you drink it, and can make you seriously ill. Camprol is used to rectify over time, the chemical imbalance in the brain caused by alcohol dependence. This is what I have been informed anyway.

I continue to be prescribed both these medications by my GP so please do look into it again, as they are definately still on the market.

The best of luck :-)

• Posted

[quote:4f084829cb=\"Zee M\"]Hi, I was put on both disilfuram, and camprol, whilst in detox in January this year, and still take both daily.

They work in different ways... the disilfuram changes the way alcohol is metabolised in your body, so that it causes a horrible effect if you drink it, and can make you seriously ill. Camprol is used to rectify over time, the chemical imbalance in the brain caused by alcohol dependence. It also reduces cravings for alcohol. This is what I have been informed anyway.

I continue to be prescribed both these medications by my GP so please do look into it again, as they are definately still on the market.

The best of luck :-)[/quote:4f084829cb]

• Posted

hi, i just started taking disulfiram 4 days ago. i tried it previously in the states but i live in china now where it is not available. i wanted to quit the bottle seriously this time, and was so frustrated that i couldn't obtain it. so i ordered it off the web. i know people are fearful of that, but XXXX it, it meant life or death for me so i took the risk. the package actually arrived and the medicine looks really legit. manufactured by some company called \"chronol\". anyways, if your interested the website is xxxx

good luck

n

[color=orange:71f2c03705]

[size=9:71f2c03705](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/size:71f2c03705][/color:71f2c03705]

• Posted

Hi are you still taking disulifram? Plese can you let me know the name of the company you can buy it from online, I have searched to no avail.

Kind regards

Nicola

• Posted

I recently went back to my doctors for a repeat prescription and was told no. I left disappointed.

I then went back and asked if I paid for a private prescription would they allow me to have it again told no.

She informed me that the the doc who prescribed it was a locum and should not have prescribed it. She would not give it to me as she had no experience of prescribing this drug.

I just oredered it from the internet, and as stated above received a brand called Chronol.

I have been retaking this branded version and have no problems with it.

It cost me £53 for 100 days supply. I spent that much on alcohol in 2/3 days. So for me it was worth the risk.

What I will say is that when I asked my doctor for it she gave me chlordiazepoxide, this apparently helps with the withdrawal effects.

Hope this all helps.

• Posted

Hi,

I have just been prescribed Disulfiram (Antabuse) by my doctor (UK) on 04/08/2010 and had Disulfiram implants which last 6 months inserted beneath my shoulder blade.

My doctor is still prescribing it.

Best regards for the future.

John.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.