Divercula Help

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can someone please tell me they got better ? 

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes!

I was admitted to the ER for micro-perfs and almost needed emergency surgery about 5 weeks ago, spent 4 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics and after being released, my bowels finally got irritated and omg did it hurt.

Jolts of pain in my rectum, in my testicles, in the urethra of my penis - The worst pain I've ever had!

Lots of water, applesauce, instant potatoes, white bread, and eggs for a week eventually eased up my bowels, and I get occasional cramping now, but I think it's from working regular food back into my system.

What caused the most pain was holding anything in digestion wise. If you have even a drop of urine or a pellet of poo locked and loaded, use the restroom immediately.

Once I realized that, I was barely able to sleep cause I was in the bathroom so much, but it was such a life saver.

It will go away, just need to endure, and keep your digestion as inactive as possible!

And I feel for your pain, it so unbelievably terrible, hope you get well soon!

• Posted

I feel scared and lost. I don’t want to read much online cause everything is so negative.  I’m on antibiotics and I am hoping it will help me. Thank you so much for your reply. 
    • Posted

I know how nightmarish it is, and how every minute feels like an hour, but I promise you it will get better - Just focus on every small step toward better you get to keep your mind off the current pain!

Its just an endurance test, and you will survive it, and come out stronger for it smile

• Posted

Thank you so much!! I will try to stay positive in all this. One question ? 

I hate to ask but what did they prescribe you for pain ? 

• Posted

Don't take anything with codine in it will constipat you 

• Posted

Percocet for the first few days, but it honestly didn't relieve the pain, it just made me feel better about being in terrible pain.

So I went through it with nothing but Tylenol during the worst, showers and heating pads helped at times, but it's really just enduring the pain sad

It only lasted about 2 weeks total, and it was extreme, I honestly thought I was going to die. However once I made it through, I have a whole new appreciation for health and life!

• Posted

I got better from my flare. But diverticula is always there. It's about managing it x

• Posted

Thank you susan!! I just want to feel positive and learn as much as I can from it. 
    • Posted

Falinia is the best person to learn from. She helped me so much when I was diagnosed 18 months ago. I was down and depressed didn't want to go out incase I needed the toilet. But falinia put everything in perspective for me and I got on with my life. I have also got IBS and I have learnt that usually it's my IBS not my diverticula that is flaring up. Good luck there is a life with DD x

• Posted

I was diagnosed 18 years ago and have lived a perfectly normal active life since.  So yes, you do recover from an attack, but it does take time, patience and a change in diet and lifestyle.  Many people come to the forum in pain and fear, learn a lot about how to manage this disease, get better and vanish from the site.  So reading online can be a bit scary as most people are at their lowest then.  A few people, like me, stay on the site to try and provide reassurance and balance.

If you have just been diagnosed and are in the USA, I am guessing it was probably from a CT Scan and you have a colonoscopy to follow.  If you are in the UK it is normally through a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy following symptoms.  The drugs they give in both countries are very strong and have nasty side effects.  The course can vary from 5 - 14 days and actually make you feel bad as well as the disease.  You can expect to feel better in 4 - 6 weeks, although hopefully the worst of the pain will have long gone by then.  You can help yourself by sticking to fluids only for a few days then on to a low residue diet as described by rommon.  The idea is to give your bowels a rest by severely limiting the amount of fibre you have.  During a flare I also have steamed white fish, broiled chicken, broth, meal replacement drinks.  All very light and easy to digest.  It is also a good idea to take a probiotic to replace the good bacteria killed by the medication.  To treat your pain, a simple painkiller like Tylenol (USA) or Paracetemol (UK).  NOT aspirin or Ibuprofen as they both irritate the stomach lining and bowel.  Heat pads are also effective.

As you start to feel better you can slowly introduce soluble fibre back into your diet, like blended homemade soup, veggie puree, rolled oats.  It's easy to go overboard with fibre - it should be small quantities at first.  And you should avoid insoluble fibre (comes out the same way it goes in), like skins, pips, seeds.  Small well cooked meals, thoroughly chewed.  As your recovery continues you can start to introduce more and more types of food, and most people keep a food diary, to see if certain foods affect them.  I can't tolerate full fat or gluten products, but for other people it can be dairy, red meat, certain veggies and fruits, All Bran (too harsh) etc.  We are all different which is why the information is so vague and we have to work out what is best for us.

It is important to keep your bowels regular end emptied.  My doctor prescribes a daily stool softener to bulk and soften the stools and make them easy to pass.  (Fybogel in UK, Metamucil in USA).  This is a slower gentler method than an emetic which can be quite violent.  But they don't suit everyone - there are suggestions of alternatives on this forum. 

You should take plenty of water/fluid, particularly with stool softeners, to keep you flushed out.  Also lose weight if necessary, follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly.  I don't mean go over the top down at the gym - I used to go for a 45 minute walk every day (until my hip gave out!!!!). In fact I sound just like every doctor in the world, but it is sensible with this disease. 

It is with you for life and can flare up from time to time.  At the first signs of a flare, go back to fluids only for 48 hours and see if it settles down - often it will if the bowel is given a rest.  Nobody's perfect and I have had a few flares over the years.  If the symptoms don't settle it's back to the doctor for medication.  You will read about complications - they do unfortunately happen but they are rare.  As I said, many people get better and simply vanish from the forum.  So don't worry about them developing - it's a bridge you can meet if it ever happens.  Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you!! I now know I’m not alone. Thank you once again for the advice on everything. It’s 12:40 am and I can’t seem to go to sleep I’m scared I won’t wake up. By the way I’m 35 years old and I was diagnosed this afternoon through a CT Scan. 
    • Posted

Of course your mind is churning, after such a shock, but you will drop off and wake up tomorrow.  The time difference puts you in the USA, one of the inner Eastern States at a guess.  Diverticular Disease is just about one of the most common least known diseases of the Western world.  50% of people over 50 have it rising to 80% at 80.  Some are even born with it.  It used to be thought that diet was the cause, and it certainly plays a part, but now genetics is also thought to play a role - certainly if you were born with it or have eaten healthy all your life. 

If you think about it, we are all born different shapes - all basically the same but slightly different.  I was born with a longer, more twisted colon than usual and I have quite a few relatives with DD.  An aunt who died (of something totally different) in 1953 had it, long before the modern high fat highly processed diet was invented.  I also have high blood pressure which over half my family have.  I've always eaten healthy, but just far too much.  So I contributed to my DD, but had a predisposition to it anyway, I think.  Many people are tested, suspecting "the big C", and are totally relieved to find out it is Diverticulitis.  As my Consultant put it "only Diverticular Disease - a benign condition".  I wouldn't call it benign, but she of course meant not cancer or life threatening. 

At 35 you are young enough to put yourself in great shape for the rest of your life.  I'm almost 68 but I was - I thought - a fit  51 years old when diagnosed.  I still played competitve sport and was very active.  So I just carried on as normal - just tweaking my diet to cut out gluten and full fat and taking the Fybogel daily.  Best wishes

• Posted

35 is young to have DD but you can live a normal life just watch what you eat no skins pips seeds or red meat. Keep a food diary so you can see what you are eating and if you have a flare you can look and see what you have eaten. I like falinia had  realatives who had DD  my mum and sister to name a few so I think I was bound to get it   I hope you feel better when you wake up x
    • Posted

My GP now thinks I have diverticultis but Im not convinced.  Ive had a series of others tests looking for the cause of my pain and up to now nothing has been found.

I have had ultrasound of womb and ovaries, ultrasound of bladder and kidneys, ct scan of kidneys, intravenous urogram of kidneys and bladder, and finally a cystoscope.  ALL normal.

My symptoms are as follows:

Pain in left side that starts at the rib and radiates round to my back.

Pain in left hip and groin area.

Diarrhoea off and on.

Does this sound like diverticulitis.  I am a 46 year old female.

• Posted

May I ask what your CT scan revealed? And what your symptoms were that you got referred for a CT scan?

Did you have micro-perfs septic infection?

• Posted

Well, the pain in the groin area and diarrhoea are certainly consistent with Diverticular Disease.  Diverticulitis is usually accompanied with fever/chills, temperature, swamping cramps and generally feeling lousy.  To be sure of a diagnosis you need a sigmoidoscopy, or colonoscopy or a CT scan.  I must say my first thought reading your symptoms was kidneys/bladder or ovaries.  But this could be something else entirely and I'm guessing going on for some time now.  Have you been prescribed any medication?  Have you tried a fluid only diet for a couple of days, then cutting right back on fibre for a week, to give your bowel a rest?  This is the usual route I follow when my DD is playing up.  Otherwise all you can do is keep pushing for a diagnosis as one thing after another is eliminated.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you Susan!! I feel weird because of the antibiotics. I’m feeling down and haven really eaten anything. I don’t know what will trigger the pain. 
    • Posted

It's trial and error   I have had lettuce on my sandwich today and I am laid in bed with bad pain and I feel I need the toilet all the time. I won't be eating lettuce again   Even after 18 months I can still get it wrong sometimes. A lot of people can eat lettuce but not me it would seam   The antibiotics are very strong and will make you feel funny   But hopefully it gets better x

• Posted

Two of the common side effects of the medication and illness are depression and fear.  And that leads to lack of intake, which can actually make you feel worse.  You would probably be best to stick to liquids at the moment as it is so early in the attack.  Not everyone can take it but I find meal replacement drinks helpful, or well blended soup.  I like chicken broth.  And maybe just half a cupful at first.  I also find peppermint tea soothing.  I read somewhere that an energy drink like Lucozade can help if you are feeling light headed, but I've no experience.  This will take time and patience to come to grips with it but you will recover.  susan95516 in particular went through exactly what you are experiencing and can empathise.

• Posted

Felina, do you recommend any type of smoothies ? I honestly read so many things that I don’t know what to believe in.  
    • Posted

Sorry - just spotted this.  I never have smoothies, but it's a slimming thing with me, as you actually gulp down more calories with smoothies than eating fresh fruit or veg.  What I do have are SlimFast Meal replacement drinks with skimmed milk, or Complan.

• Posted

Thank you so Felinia. I just turned 69 and have known for years that I have diverticulitis and would get a very mild flare from time to time. To be honest I didn't know I had it until I had a colonoscopy. Until early Tuesday morning when I ended up in the hospital with iv painkillers and antibiotics.I learned so much from this forum that no one could tell me. So again I thank you. I tried to go to work today and was so weak I came home and will now stay home until Monday. Still feel really lousy off and on. Called my GI Doc on Wednesday and set up an appointment for June and when I felt so weak and chilly today called back, but guess it was normal because I didn't hear back. I have a huge trip with family coming up on May 13th. Anything I can do to speed up recovery?

• Posted

Hi Nancy

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time.  It takes 4 - 6 weeks to get over an attack when you're on medication, and if you're feeling weak and chilly you still have an infection and temperature.  Unfortunately it's not something where you just take a few pills and feel better almost immediately.  So you really shouldn't be trying to work.  In fact I've read here of people who are off for 2 or more weeks because they feel so bad.  I can remember trying to work through it first time and being doubled over in pain standing by the photocopier.  And still working at 69!!  I lost my job on my 59th birthday and have not worked since.  I love retirement and am busier than when I worked.

Anyway to help yourself you should stick to mostly fluids and slowly introduce low residue food (not much fibre), as your insides need a rest.  So things like broth, soup, yogurt, jello, mashed potato, steamed fish, broiled chicken, white bread without crusts.  I have meal replacement drinks like Complan or SlimFast as they have added minerals and vitamins.  I make my own soup and blend it, and I make veggie purees of potato, carrot, swede, parsnip.  Others make smoothies of veggies or fruits with yogurt.  Rest is they key as well, but also some walking will help.  Paracetemol or Tylenol for pain, and a heated pad or bottle.

Hope you enjoy your trip - I am also off 16 - 29 May, in Sardinia.

• Posted

Wow, very informative and very appreciated! We are the same age as I just turned"60" not 69 (huge typo on my part! Hahaha!) I am feeling better today for the first time in days but I will take all your information to heart.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.