Diverticula flare up

Posted , 7 users are following.

Got told i have this diverticulitis in feb was hospitalized for a week im 44 think im having a flare up what do i do 😕

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Have nothing but fluids for 48 hours.  If the pain does not ease or worsens, get to a doctor.  If it does ease, then switch to a bland diet with as low fibre as possible for a week or two.  Things like mash, steamed fish, scrambled eggs, yogurt - there are plenty of posts here to advise you.  Then slowly introduce small amounts of soluble fibre back into your diet ie home made blended soup, well cooked carrots, canned green beans (not insoluble).  It can take a few weeks before you feel more like normal.  But if in doubt - doctor!
    • Posted

Thank you felinia great to find this forum ☺
    • Posted

What do you take for the pain my doctor is closed is there anything i can take before it gets worse
    • Posted

I take Paracetemol or use a heat pad.  But if you are UK based like me, that won't be a good idea as it's far too hot here at present.  But don't take aspirin or Ibuprofen as they can cause bleeding.

• Posted

Start liquid diet and call your doctor......I'm just finishing up antibiotics and am just barely on food now.

• Posted

Lorid all im having is liquid thank you for responding ☺
  • Posted

Plus for me it worked drinking ensure, Juven, aloe Vera juice, kefir, fresh ginger tea, chicken broth ( just boil chicken and water and drink the broth), Gatorade, peppermint tea, coconut water, slippery elm, 2 probiotics two hours after the antibiotics....
    • Posted

Where do i get ensureand can you take with flare up cant go to toilet either even do i want to any suggestions😣

• Posted

I’m not sure bout ensure, my dietitian said no way should I do ensure till healed, made me feel worse, but everyone is diff. 
  • Posted

Hi Amanda

Do you have a fever ? If you do its a sign of infection and you will need antibiotics.

I have just had a flare and although i didnt have a fever my doctor still gave them to me. You also need to eat bland food to give your colon chance to heal.

If you have any questions give me a shout. Get well soon xxx

• Posted

Thanks allyson no fever when i was sick in feb i had no fever either it just took me of my feet is it an infection if i cant go toliet r just im blocked badly 😕

• Posted

Hi Amanda

Im not sure i always have problems stopping going to the toilet.

If you bend forward whilst sat on the toilet ive heard that helps...but DONT strain as this will hurt the colon more.

You could get a blood test to check your inflammatory markers... are you in pain ? Where is it ? Im just wondering if its just a case of constipation ?

A xx

• Posted

I will try that thanks pain left side lower stomach not very bad at the moment but yesterday i was bad
    • Posted

I took magnesium citrate, vitamin C(sodium ascorbate) or MOM, to get relief. Also Aloe Vera Juice daily. Drink peppermint tea also. Hope you find relief 🙏

• Posted

I get blockage occasionally and don't eat anything until I have a bowel movement. I gave in to a craving 3 days ago, 'cherries' and am now blocked; I usually have broth and saltine crackers during this time to avoid nausea, pain and chills. It usually passes within a day or two.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.