Diverticular

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi can anyone suggest what foods I should avoid so as not to trigger an attack of Diverticulitis someone mentioned tomatoes I do eat quite a few tomatoes during the week but not had any this week is there any other foods I should avoid? I would be most grateful if someone could help me with this thanking you in advance

Jean 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean

Don't eat tomatoes or anything with seeds in.

Kiwi, nuts, strawberries, seeded bread etc.

You have a risk of one of these little chaps getting stuck in the dv. This can lead to an absess! You really don't want to risk this., believe me we have been through the mill with this and my mum who now has a bag due to a perforated absess and infections etc. Drink plenty and take fiber in the form of weetabix and orange juice etc don't eat anything like skins that won't disolve like bake beans.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply to me it is a big help as I didn't know about the baked beans and strawberries I will definitely take this on board so sorry your poor mum had to have a bag take care both of you xx

• Posted

Jean. Just please take care. Tomatoes have seeds it's not just about the skin. If you feel unwell at all and you have a lower tummy pain

Ask the question with your doctor.

• Posted

I don't know if anyone else had a hard time getting answers from doctors about diverticulitis food triggers. I had conflicting answers from my first doc so I changed doc and got the same advice.. they both were honest in that they don't really know what's causes it.. they once thought it was seeds but now they think that is wrong. I was so confused by the time I left my appointment I finally found these forums. It's nice talking to people that actually go through it.

• Posted

Hi Hollie

Even the official NHS leaflet from my hospital said - try this and see if it works - it might not (or words to that effect)!!  So we sufferers are the experts on what this disease does, feels like and how to deal with it!  But with caution.

• Posted

Hi I will certainly keep a check on what I am eating and what starts the pain off just hope my next attack isn't as bad as the last one but I am trying to do everything by the book this time making sure I have porridge or weetabix for breakfast whereas I usae to skip breakfast before and also keeping up with my fibogel Thanks once more for your input x

• Posted

Hi hollie I to have hard time geting answer from my doctor

as to what to eat it just seem as if no one doctor now,s

• Posted

Hi Jean. I think unfortunately food triggers are diff for everyone. The doctors can't even tell you for sure what foods to avoid. I think my diverticulitis was caused by a sluggish bowel. I was reg for 6 yes. Quit my job to stay home with my children and my bowels stopped moving, my daily routine changed so did my movements. I really think if you keep your bowels moving it will help avoid another attack. The only food I do avoid is popcorn only because a lot of people on the forums say they have flares after and I don't want to take that chance. I do eat tomatoes.. not right after an attack.. I do limit seed intake but I don't cut things out. Hope I helped.

• Posted

Hi Hollie thanks for replying to me I will keep this in mind I have started taking Fibogel again so hopefully I wont be as constipated and wont suffer that dreadful pain that lasted hours xx 
  • Posted

Hi Jean

Hollie is right when she says that triggers are unique to each person.  For me the triggers are gluten and full fat, and I can eat foods like baked beans which others cannot.  Seeds, pips, nuts, popcorn to seem to be the most common triggers, but for others it is dairy or red meat.  Your best bet is to keep a food diary so you can identify when you have pain, and what you ate beforehand, to eliminate and identify foods.

No need to give up tomatoes completely without a little experiment.  Simply remove the skin by pouring boiling water over it for 20 seconds, then peeling off.  Then all you need to do is quarter and de-seed, much like you would do with a cucumber.  You should be able to eat the rest OK.  If it still triggers pain afterwards, then unfortunately it goes on the avoid list!

The best thing though is to make sure your colon is emptied fully and regularly, so no nasty bits get stuck and cause an infection.  Many of us take psyllium husk in the form of a flavoured powder mixed in a tumbler of water and chugged down immediately.  I have the orange flavoured one and taken the way I described it tastes a bit like watery squash.  Just don't leave it as it thickens very quickly into a slimy jelly.  Better it should do that inside rather than out!!  It bulks up and softens the stools and makes them easier to pass.  I take it twice a day, and for the first time in my life I "go" about an hour after getting up regular as clockwork.  Many report an increased frequency throughout the day - that applies to me as well - but it certainly keeps the system clear.

I suggest you seek out the post by Julia1040 on diet, which others have added to, and try out the suggestions.  Hopefully then you can devise your own safe eating plan.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi felinia

Thank you for replying to me and for all your input it is a good help to me I will definitely keep a food diary and see what triggers these horrible stomach cramps the docs just gave me fibogel but never said anything about diet I don't think many of them know it is a case of finding out yourself what the triggers are like you have said weel thank you again for your input much appreciated

Take Care

Jeanx

• Posted

Jean please take note to what Felinia aka Janet is saying about psyllium husk. Once your bowels are moving out the waste through colon you divertic will stop. Take it twice per day 2 teaspoons in 12 ounces of water and your flare ups will disappear and you will be back to normal life. The material acts like a colon cleanse and clears out all waste in your colon.
    • Posted

Hi Jean

To this long list of food that can cause problems, I say can because some suffers can eat things whilst others cannot I will add Onions of any type and Bannanas.

Bannanas may seem strange but if you split them down length ways you will find lots of very small Black seeds.

if I remove these first their OK to eat then.

Hope this helps

Kieran

• Posted

Yes tomatoes are bad for you also cucumber ,lettuce, bake beans , and windy veg ,spicy food but I do now and again have a mild curry but suffer after and just found out raw carrots . Every one is different but ehen you think about it you want food that's easy to digest

• Posted

Jean,

I am a nurse and have read many evidence based articles regarding the relationship of food and diverticulitis. I have also spoken with surgeons and GI doctors who agree with the literature that there are no foids that cause diverticulitis! It is caused by bacteria in the feces called ecoli. When poop gets trapped in the diverticulum or pouches in your colon, an infection occurs. The best advice I can give you is to not get constipated. Stagnant poop causes the ecoli bacteria to proliferate and cause infection. With that being said, keep a diary of the foids you were eating, the 24 hrs leading up to your flare up. You may or may not find a correlation. I hope this info helps! Feel better!

• Posted

I am so glad you wrote that on here and I wish my GI doc would have told me that. I would have started the pysullum husk so much sooner. sad

• Posted

Hollie,

Im not sure psyllium will be your magic button but hopefully it will. It can also cause constipation if you dont drink enough fluids during the day. A few people on this forum say it has worked wonders for them. I hope it works for you. Just be sure you arent starting psyllium too close to a diverticulitis flair. You should always wait at least 2 weeks after finishing your last antibiotic pill.

• Posted

Hi Gigi

Thanks for these 2 posts.  I am one of those who finds psyllium helpful, but I have more than doubled the amount of water I take it with over the last 2 months.  I'm sure that has helped.  I also avoid it during a flare up because I was advised to avoid all forms of fibre.  Glad to have a nurse's knowledge and insight.

• Posted

I am going to try psyllium as I am not regular and tryed lots of different things but just gives me terrible wind so fingers crossed
    • Posted

Just food for thought, I tried steel cut oatmeal and it worked really well for me. I was a little leary of psyllium due to the choking risks I read about it.
    • Posted

Yes, if you dont drink it down immediately, it can expand in your throat causing choking or suffocation. Its also harmful to breathe psyllium dust. You can read about it online.
    • Posted

Thank you so very much for your input I really appreciate it and everything you have put makes sense I suffered from constipation really bad till I started taking fibrogel daily and it flared up a lot at this time I know one episode that lasted 8 hours and being on my own I was frightened as the pain was excruciating and I was sweating and feeling faint and worst of all it was in the middle of the night but thankfully I haven't had an episode like that for a while now thank goodness once again thank you for your input x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.