Diverticular

Posted , 3 users are following.

Could I please ask advice on diet for a diverticular flare up, as I'm a bit confused in what to eat. I know it's low fibre and then high fibre when recovered.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I find that avoiding anything with pips or skins mainly fruit and beans, avoid gassy veg, fatty foods, caffeine, chocolate, full fat milk, oats, brown bread. Things that work for me are de cafe tea coffee, soups, mash, pasta foods, white bread skimmed milk, plain biscuits, fish, chicken, carrots. Drink plenty of water and light exercise. Different things work for different people but this works for me and hope it helps.

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback I will certainly give this a go, I have been in excruciating pain and vomiting most days since Xmas eve. I think I'm finally getting my bowel back to "normal", I went onto liquids for 3days and slowly introducing more solid foods now

• Posted

Hey Sharon,

I am so sorry you are having problems. Be very careful for a couple of months with what you eat. I jumped back to normal foods too soon and had another attack or else the first one never cleared up. I would avoid red meat. Eat turkey or chicken cooked in a crock pot so it is very tender. Eat only canned fruit like peaches or pears. Green beans cooked well and cooked tender carrots for veggies, mashed potatoes or boiled with a little butter. No skins, no fresh fruit or raw vegetables for now. I have not had a soda since Feb 1 last year! For some reason the carbonation bothers me. For now eat very small amounts. Think the size of your fist. Don't do much dairy quite yet. Rest more. Try to walk some. White breads are okay. I hope this helps. Last year I had a terrible time with diverticulitis but have hope it will heal and you will be better and return to normal. Just take it very slow and do not go back to normal foods for awhile. I waited over 6 months before trying to eat salad. I am still taking things slow as to what to bring in.

Blessings to you! Hang in there. It will get better. See your Dr if it does not.

Warmly,

Georgie

• Posted

Thank you Georgie I am overwhelmed by the lovely advice I am getting as I didn't think there was the advice out there. My doctor gave me this website and it is really helpful x

• Posted

I find this forum very useful, you not alone, hope you improve and like other advice, eat little and often, avoid huge amounts and take things slowly

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.