Diverticular Bleeding

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had an on set of rectal bleeding since last Thursday, was admitted to the hospital for observation and the bm's continued to be bloody so they did a colonoscopy on Monday, and results were negative for active bleeding. Supposedly it stopped, so prior to being discharged they brought me lunch (Turkey, mashed potatoes and cooked carrots) so I ate it, soon as I got home(4 hrs later) I had a bm and it was bloody again, my GI doc told me to go back on a clear liquid diet for a couple of days and observe it. If it's still bleeding I have to go back. Anyone here has experienced this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Is it just blood in the stool or more than that like is there any blood in water of toilet or bright red blood on paper or is it just some in the bowel ? 
    • Posted

Hi crosado8, definitely blood in the water. In the beginning it was bright red with maroon color clotty diarrhea. When I had the colonoscopy the bleeding had stopped. They had found no blood in the colon. I think I started on the regular foods way to quick and that sparked the bleeding again, the colon was too sensitive for solid food. Will see what my GI Doc says this week.

TonyQ305

• Posted

Hey Tony,

I think medics make a distinction is made between blood on the paper or blood in the bowl? I assume you experienced the latter? I have DD and have experienced one BM a few months ago where I passed a decent amount of blood into the bowl (never a vision of delight)- at least 15cc I would say - it occurred when I had some constipation. My own experience of DD suggests more than anything it is important to keep the stools soft and moving through. Liquid diet sounds like a good response. Lots of people on this site use fybogel  - I'm tending to take small amounts of lactulose daily. 

The good news is the main fear with blood in the stools seems to be bowl cancer - if you have had a colonoscopy they will have been able to rule that out, so other than the general worry it doesnt sound too serious to me at least?

Good luck and all the best 

James 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply James, this is the first time that I've had bloody bm and it really freaked me out. My results of my colonoscopy was I have mild diverticulosis and very small internal hemorrhoids . They told me that yes it was a diverticula bleed, no blood was seen during the procedure. Just weird how it started to bleed again after and still til last night that I had a bm it was still maroon bloody diarrhea . Hasn't been easy for me that's for sure.

Thanks, James

• Posted

Does anyone find it hurt to work during one of these flare ups? I got out of the hospital Sunday and it's Wednesday and I haven't been to work all week.

• Posted

Hi Kim I came out of hospital 2 wks ago and was signed off work for those 2 wks. My plan is to return to work Monday. However,I started introducing soluble fibre Tuesday a few lentils in a clear soup and OMG did I suffer. Diarrhoea was awful for 10 hrs. So was on liquids all day Wednesday and started again yesterday with adding some sprouts (5) to my steamed fish and potato meal. I've had nothing but dull ache again , lots of wind and I think I maybe constipated as I feel that I need to go but can't. Thought I will try porridge for breakfast. I am anxious that I won't be right to go to work Monday and not sure what to do . In total I've been off work 3 weeks. My boss is pretty good and understanding but I still feel guilty ( probably a sign of feeling a bit better) I'm tired, headaches and anxious that if I eat wrong food it's going to flare up. Are you having same problems? Are you back at work?

• Posted

I have been told I have an anul fissure, which is very painful. Should heal on its own but will always cause problems when I have a flare up. It hasn't bled yet, thank goodness, but I understand they can. Hope this might help.

• Posted

I have a similar experience of blood in the stool one day in the morning at around 0430. Alarmed by the sight of the blood which was my first time. I fainted and then my wife drove me to general hospital and warded immediately. After staying in the hospital for 5 days while the blood still coming out and the haemoglobin dropped critically that I need transfusion twice. I have no pain so far and I had my colonoscopy eight months ago. The doctor could not find any polyps and clear me except diverticulosis. 3 days later I was given a ct scan but could not locate the bleeding spot. I am still waiting for it to stop by itself as the surgeon said 90% of patients stop bleeding on itself. However. given the losing blood intermittently has caused me gripes with fears and anxiety. I am still waiting for the doctor morning round (at this time of writing) to advise what to do next. I can't just indefinitely waiting for the blood to stop (Nov 1. 2021)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.