Diverticular blood in stools but without pain or illness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello Does any one who suffers from Diverticular Disease get blood in stools but with out being ill no pain or high temperature etc.   All I read is that Diverticular cause sudden large amount of blood which stops on it's own.  This happens when my stools are lumpy not when they are smooth sorry to be graphic.  It is not liquid blood but looks more like blood from a graze also when wiping and it red to maroon in colour.  9 months ago I had a colonoscopy following a bout of constipation and blood in stools.  I was diagnosed with diverticulosis all down sigmoid colon and small internal hemmeroids.  The surgeon who did the scope could not tell me which was causing the bleeding and because there was only 1 small benign polyp I did not need to see him again.  I was not given much info about diverticular disease although I do also suffer from IBS  for around 8 years.  I also suffer from anxiety which does help with either IBS or DD.  I take fybogel with mebeverine which does make sue I go daily but I still have trouble with lumpy stools like small balls stuck together.  I did wonder about whether they could get stuck in diverticular and cause the blood to appear but my gp seemed to think that I would be in pain and feel ill.  I am used to stomach cramps with IBS and odd pain down on left hand side which I get with both.  This last year has been very stressful, a week ago I had a camera down and have been diagnosed with mild grastritis but with no bleeding and have been given ranitidine to take which seems to be working.  My husband also has a few health problems. I intend to call my gp on Monday morning for an appointment,  I am hoping she will not say I need another colonoscopy.  Any ideas how I can treat this I never know whether you should eat high fibre or lower fibre soluble or insoluble fibre.  So much conflicting advice.  I have always had trouble with constipation and I suspect my anxiety has a lot to do with it.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I do not suffer from diverticulitis but my son does and has for a few years. To put your mind at rest hopefully he has bouts of bleeding and mucus even though not in pain. Whilst it might seem alarming I think with this condition it is fairly common.

When he’s in pain he goes on a liquid diet sometimes lasting a week. I’m looking into oregano oil,  probiotic and turmeric all of which are natural healers. Have a look on google. X

• Posted

Hello, I too have no pain, but suffer for weeks with constant bleeding and mucus with occasional clots,I have had a colonoscopy which confirms diverticulitis ,I am having to stay in house while all this is happening, I don’t like to mention having no pain because so many people are suffering so much more than me,I don’t eat nuts,skins,seeds, and avoid bananas because of all the little black seeds.i do take Fybogel occasionally when constipation rests it ugly head,just live in hope that another flair up doesn’t come back 🙀 with the constant bleeding  I get I have to take iron tablets which as you know causes constipation,so l take a liquid iron which seems to help it is called Spatone Liquid Iron taken in apple juice.hope to hear from you.

• Posted

Hello Thank you for your reply.  I know what you mean about having no pain as so many suffer badly.  

When you say constant bleeding do mean fresh red blood that you might get with say a external hemerroid?  Mine as I mentioned is not like that is is more maroon in colour and covers the outside of the stool.  I suffer from anxiety and I will have to return to my gp but am so scared she will will refer me back for another colonscopy.  The last one I had around 9 months ago was fine but the prep was awful I had such terrible cramps.  The nature of the bleeding (blood in stools) has not changed since before the colonoscopy.  I know it is because I am technically constipated although I go every day thanks t the fybogel.   Are you having to take any antibiotics at these times and what has your GP said about it all.  My last blood test in October I was ok not anaemic.  I would dread iron tablets because of the constipation.  You are the first person who seems to have bleeding with out pain so I am pleased to hear from you.

• Posted

Hi Patricia. I was starting to relax as have been clear of blood for 5 days. Then started again earlier. Don't know what to do . Eat just drink.the blood is very red not a lot but there and mucus.im always on the loose side. No side pain as normally mentioned. Not felt very well now for about t weeks. Finished antibiotics. And probiotics. Just taking aloe Vera caps.

• Posted

Hello to all those who replied to me.  I have seen my GP re constipation and blood in stools she does not seem unduly worried as I have had both colonoscopy and gastroscopy.  She thinks is is probably related to diverticular and says I need to get the constipation under control.  She has given me cosmocol, or rather the chemist has.  When I was with the gp I mentioned about taking the fybogel eveyday and I said although they don't cause bloating and pain I don't think it works as well as movicol but came off that because of cramps and bloating.  She suggested I try half a dose and sent through a prescription to the chemist which is next door to the surgery. I assumed she was prescribing movicol  but of course I did not get to see the prescription.  Anyone used it I have read that it is not as good and is given because it is cheaper than movicol.  I am loathe to stop the fybogel and then find this new stuff does not work.  Grateful for any advice, to be honest I would rather just do it with diet but I seem to need the fybogel.  Also not sure what is good for ibs but not for diverticular and visa versa.  Anixety is at the heart of it but I am determined not to take pills for it even though my family are saying I should.  Any way a lot of them are not suitable for me.  Fed up with it all although stools do seems a bit better hardly any blood.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.