Diverticular disease and employment

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm having a hard time at work because I've had a couple of bouts that have meant I can't be in work. I've started managing this by being allowed to work from home the days I'm not able to be far from the loo.

But my boss has now said I'm becoming a liability... 15 days off over 12 months.

They know I have diverticular disease and chronic IBS. Is this considered a chronic condition and, as such, protected by disability legislation in the UK?


0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi. I can sympathise with you on that. Unfortunately I have only worked 5 days in about 6 weeks because of this horrible illness. I was only diagnosed in December after my first flare up and as I had not got over that infection I ended up in hospital again for new year complicated by septacemia!!  I'm now suffering my 3rd infection in as many months. Had 2 days off and gone back today. Boss and manager are not speaking to me and a co worker suggested I leave as it is obvious that I can't cope. I am led to believe it is classed as a chronic condition but I am going to check with acas and will let you know. One thing is certain we don't need the stress of nasty bosses to exasperate a horrible condition. Xxx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      That's awful, Angi!

      Have you spoken with your hr department? Septicaemia is no joke and being hospitalised for diverticulitis is a result of this long term condition.

      I'm speaking with my GP about it today, so will let you know what she says... Xxx


      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Me again! I've spoken to my GP who said once you have diverticular disease, you have it for life. You can manage your symptoms with medicine and lifestyle choices but essentially it's covered by the Equalities Act 2010.

      So - if we are concerned about our employers -we need to let the HR department know that we have this condition and then the employers have to consider reasobable steps.

      If, like me, we are trying to work with our specialists to change our lifestyle choices and get the correct medication then we will be able to manage our symptoms. So it's reasonable for work to allow us the time to get back on our feet.

      Hope this helps xxx

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I've done the same and also spoken to acas. Same advice as you. Also suggested that I ask my employer to arrange a meeting with occupational health advisor. Unfortunately we don't have an HR dept just the managing director and a manager who are the ones giving me the silent treatment. Should be having a meeting the the MD tomorrow. Xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      So both of us have had it confirmed we're protected from discrimination by law!

      Don't let the md try to bully you to leave your job, cos that in itself is against Employment Law. Do all the things acas suggests. If you've no occie health at your work, get your Gp to refer you to a dietitian and start the process of getting yourself back to good health.

      As I explained to my manager, the doc said we have this for life. But, like sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis for example, we need time to find the right balance of treatment to stave off more flare ups.

      Take good care of yourself Angi xxx

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I've also got rheumatoid arthritis. Had to come off the meds for that as they knock out your immune system. Devil and deep blue sea springs to mind. I wont let him bully me  my hubby has given me advice what to say. Hope he speaks to me tomorrow   Take care xxx
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up