Diverticular Disease at age of 35, need some advice.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diverticular disease a couple of months ago. I am only 35 years old but have had cramps on the left side of abdomen for about 8 years. Even though the CT scan showed I have no inflamation and have pockets all over the doctor told me.

I feel crampy more a less all the time on the left side, is there anyone else that experiences something similar and can advise something for the crampy feeling?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What does  the doctor say about trying a course of antibiotics?  If you are crampy all the time it seems there might be some inflamtion.  Also get a 2nd opinion
    • Posted

About 6 weeks ago doctor said to have a Sigmoidoscopy done to check for inflammation but mt my cramps stopped for a few weeks so I didn't bother booking it but now I'm thinking I should book one in.

• Posted

Oh and I've never had antibiotics for anything since I was a kid, not really one for medicine but I'm assuming there's no other option if there is inlamation. It does say that 1 in 4 people with diverticluar disease experience intermittent or persistant pain even if there is no inflamation.

• Posted

Why bother with a sigmoidoscopy.  Colonoscopy is the gold standard and shows the entire colon.  Do you live int the U.S.?  I'd really seek a 2nd opinion.

• Posted

Live Uk. They going to do sigmoidoscopy cuz cramps are only on left.
  • Posted

Hi baljit1313,

Some tips for you that might help.

1. Don't take any Advil or Aleve type paid killers.

2. Do not eat big meals just small meals and drink alot od water.

3. Take a good probiotic thats works best for your body.

4. Take a smart fiber capsule daily.

5. don't eat high gluten bread or pizza.

This should hep you, I used to get pain on my left side.

Since doing this I have not had a problem.

Gary

• Posted

Thank you very much for your advice. Is there anyone else that is a young as me with this condition?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.