Diverticular disease pains?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have had left side abdominal pains for over 20 years. Initially doctors thought it was IBS but now it has gotten worse with the same symptoms there most of the time whereas in the past they would come and go. Now the thinking is diverticular disease. I have had prunes with my breakfast for years and have for the last week increased my intake of fibre though it does not seem to have had an effect in relieving the pain yet.

Pain usually begins in the left lower abdomen and then seems to move lower down and ends up as a tight, cramping feeling around the left side near the kidney area.

Oddly, if I stand up or lie down the pain is hardly felt.

Anyone else had these symtoms

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to purgatory, only joking! I have noticed that since I joined this site, the range of symptoms sufferers of diverticuar disease experience is unbelievable.

I have had pain in my lower abdomen for the last 10 years and it keeps me awake at night, seeming worse when I lie down. I have constant tenderness in the area and bloating, so I'm standard dress size everywhere execept my stomach!! The misery of this can only really be appreciated by women sufferers, as every day I end up looking like I'm 4 months pregnant, which ruins the look of any clothes and I don't want to have to explain to people that it's just diverticular disease,...diva what?...I hear them saying. Oh forget it...I have an irritable bowel:-( Oh,my grandad has that. Seriously, the best advice I can give you is to go and see your doctor and get it checked out, at least it will rule out anything more serious. It took an ultrasound scan, a barium enema and finally a colonoscopy before mine finally got diagnosed, and their solution was take pain killers and Movicol:-( Good luck" ;-)

• Posted

I would certainly go and get checked out,  At least it will put your mind at rest knowing what it is.

it sounds like Diverticilitis and can be very painful.   I am just getting over a flare up and needed Antibiotics,  perhaps you need similar

• Posted

Thanks again for this. A GP told me when I mentioned antibiotics they would only be given if I was in extreme pain with a high temperature and sweating.
  • Posted

Thanks folks,

I have been put on the list to see a colorectal surgeon with a "view" to having a rear view camera inserted. I am however reluctant to have this as I am told it is very uncomffortable and there are also some risks attached; the main fear being perforation.

I am minded to speak with the colorectal folks and ensure the camera is totally neccessary. I don't have the usual symptoms of bowel cancer and reading a pdf written by the colorectal surgeon whose clinic I am due to attend has said that 4% of the patients who present are diagnosed with bowel cancer. That seems to suggest there is a 96% chance it is not cancer.

I don't have any other signs such as constipation etc, just the cramping pain which moves about and settles near the left kidney as mentioned.

My GP has said there is no cure and only diet can help. Ihave increased my fibre intake in the last few days to try to ease the pain. Anyone know why it goes away when I stand up?

• Posted

Hi

I have recently been diagnosed. Had had symptoms for the last 3-4 years. Have had a colonoscop recently to give myself a piece of mind. I'm glad I had it done. I didn't find it very uncomfortable just the drink you need to take 24hrs before procedure was worst for me. I have joined this group now as finding it hard now to manage it. Hope this has been of any help :-)

• Posted

Hello, thought you might like some advice. As a qualified owner

of D.D ,two major flares ,two hospital treatments. Read endless books,

on the subject, I have narrowed it down to two mus do' s

Keep your colon happy by taking Acidophilus with pectin .3 billion

good bacteria,that keep the baddies at bay, get from H&B.

Second most important .keep the stuff you eat, on the move, by keeping the bowels busy and empty--ish don't let anything get a chance to settle in a pouch. Lactulose is a gentle remover

I have been pain free since last September (BIG flare )

I also started a forum called Divi Diners that might help you with 

eatables. Hope this helps 

• Posted

Hi

Thank you so much. Will try those tablets from H&B. Will have a look at the division dinners as well.

• Posted

I know  that lots of us that now take 

Acidophilus, are all doing well. the forum is called Divi Diners you can pick it up on Google

you will get on top of this nasty disease ,,x

• Posted

Get your coat on, and go shopping. The sooner you start the tabs, the

sooner you will start to feel better. x

• Posted

I have the identical symptoms and I am not a happy camper! Have you found any relief for this since you have posted this???? I'm miserable

• Posted

Hi, have you tried the clear liquid diet, if you are having pain it is usually the first thing the doctors advise. You must not increase your fibre until the pain has gone and then slowly increase different foods until you are eating a normal diet and then increase your fibre. Also avoid, to begin with, seeds and nuts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.