Diverticular flare up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well I was admitted to the hospital around 3 weeks ago with rectal bleeding and the colonscopy showed it was a diverticular bleed. Thank God it stopped and slowly I began to feel better, now this week I have lower abdominal pain and constipated stool. Not very much in the bowl when I've gone. The pain is pretty strong and pretty debilitating, been putting a hot water bottle on the abdomen and it helps some but the discomfort is still there, what else can I do? Has anyone taken bentyl for cramping and spazams?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Suggest you go on a liquid only diet for 48 hours to give your bowel a rest.  Also if you can take it, paracetemol helps with the pain.  If it gets worse, or you get a temperature, fever, chills, you could be running an infection and need antibiotics.  I take Mebeverine for cramps, and others take Buscopan, but you should always get doctor clearance before starting a medication like this.
  • Posted

had my 2nd bout of this fck thing 3 weeks ago  was in hospital for a week and sent home with 2 wks of antibiotic, although a lot better still get stomache cramps all day, did have an abcess this time with it so maybe thats why its taking so long to get better, just had enough of it now
    • Posted

You are right about it taking a long time because of the abscess.  Unfortunately it can take weeks, if not months to completely subside and the side effects from the medication make you feel lousy anyway.  As you had an abscess, suggest you keep a close eye on it, and check your temperature in case the abscess recurs.  Unfortunately too, it can if not completely got rid of. 

As it's your 2nd bout you are susceptible.  Did you modify your diet and lifestyle after the 1st attack?  That's the best way to manage this condition.  Also to take a stool softener to keep your bowels better emptied.  Your doctor can advise, although many of us take Metamucil (USA) or Fybogel (UK).  Mine was prescribed 17 years ago and I've taken it daily ever since.  I've had a few flares and can usually identify what I ate that I shouldn't, which caused the problem.  Otherwise I lead a normal active life and did competitive sports for many years before the hip gave out!  Best wishes.

• Posted

Yes Bentyl helps me a lot. Whenever I start feeling uncomfortable I take 20 mg.

I also use a heating pad on the area which helps too.

Keeping your bowels regular is a must. I take Miralax frequently when I am constipated.  Sometimes everyday until I am regular.  It was recommended by a doctor. Another said Metamucil but I think Miralax works better for me. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Madeline, been using the heating pad and it has helped, going to use the Miralax for sure, been using Benefiber daily and don't think it's working for me. I was given Bentyl when I was in the hospital for a resent diverticular bleed and I does work for bloating and cramps, so I will use it as well.

• Posted

I feel the key to these flair ups is keeping yourself regular and realizing the  trigger foods that cause discomfort.  Too much fiber although it’s recommended hurts me more than helps me so I watch the amount of fiber I eat.  Good luck and take care.
  • Posted

Take Miralax till you start going good, then once or twice a week to keep things moving, bentyl helps but should it not work for you ask your Doctor he can call in something else for the cramping and spams. librax  is good, liquid diet a day or two will alas help, this may take awhile keep in mind there is a end it will get better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.