Diverticular flareups from physical activity?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I found this forum looking for real world discussions about diverticular disease.

Have any of you ever had diverticular flareups after rigorous physical activity? My last few bouts have been aggravated by doing some heavy work (lifting, bending, etc.) Currently dealing with upper/middle left side pain that is different than previous episodes. My personal feeling is there are some undiagnosed adhesions in play here and will likely only be discovered when I go under the knife (laparoscopic sigmoidectomy in my near future).

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you on antibiotics now? You need to not left heavy things or work out heavy! A football player that had this disease the doctors made him give up football completely !

• Posted

I'm not on antibiotics at the moment. I'm hoping rest gets me through this one.

• Posted

I have and i believe its because the intestines are weak. The pressure from putting strain causes pain in your side or lower stomach.

• Posted

It's interesting that there is so little information about physical activity having an adverse effect. Lots of "exercise is good for you" as it pertains to diverticular disease.

• Posted

Yes, there is very little information period. You really learn as you go and by being apart of social forums like this.

• Posted

I have had 30 year's of pain, sometimes mild and sometimes very painful. I have had pain from doing a gym session or walking too far. One of my Doctors said swimming was the best thing and I always try to swim in the summer. I have been told not to take antibiotics unless I have a fever or a blood test shows infection. My advice take it easy when the pain flares and yes one surgery found I did have adhesion from an earlier surgery.

• Posted

Yes! Last year we had a HEAVY snow storm in April. The shoveling was very strenuous.

• Posted

OK then, I see that I am not alone. A year and a half ago I went on a mission to lose weight by a combination of FitBit, diet and walking. I lost nearly 40 lbs. While in many respects I did feel better my diverticular issues did start increasing. Two odd things my docs and CT scans can't explain: periodic right side pain and relief by wearing an old elastic back brace that seems to hold things in place in there. My surgeon says I am a 1 on a scale of 1-4 but reminds me that even a 1 can result in a perforation. I was scheduled for laparoscopic surgery to remove my sigmoid but chose to postpone the procedure until I move to a new city in the coming new year. While a best case scenario has been described to me, my spidey senses tell me there'll be some discovery once inside and the procedure will convert to open surgery. So many secondary symptoms tell me there are things like adhesions, abcess or fistulas that radiology haven't discovered. In the meantime I think I'll take it easy (as much as I can). Thanks for the replies.

• Posted

Hi Andrew,

Your situation sounds a bit similar to mine. I was diagnosed with having Diverticula and have had many flare ups. I can’t necessarily say what foods and habits contribute to it the flares but I think surgery is my only hope at this point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.