Diverticulats

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi, I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in 2016 and have been in hospital a couple of times. I’ve had 3 flares this year and I’m just going through another, which started on Sunday BUT I’m not really convinced they have been flares i.e. (infections).

The night before this flare started we had a Chinese takeaway and the pain

started the following day and I wondered if this started if off. ?

On the last 3 occasions I have been having the pain in the lower left side and in my back but I have not felt ill and I don’t feel ill now. I have not had a temperature, any sickness or constipation and I feel ok except for the damn pain.

What I want to ask you all is.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms and does anyone know if you can just get the pain on it’s own and it not be an infection.

Many Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Yes you can or at least I have...I was diagnosed in 2013...not really any bad problems with it until this last year when same as you no sickness temperature or constipation just really difficult to pass very thin but soft stools and a few flare ups but only two infections that each took two weeks of antibiotics to clear.

Was beginning to think the pains were due to IBS and not DD until hospital appointment this week to discuss my recent Virtual scan.

Quite shocked to be told I would need to have a Sigmoid Colectomy because the DD was getting worse Colon had narrowed so much that the op was the only option.

DD is a horrible disease and can affect each and every one of us in different ways so I would ask for another scan because if I hadn't had that recent one I would still be sitting here wondering same as you...Consultant said there's no diet or medication to cure DD and without intervention can become really serious.

• Posted

Hi Janis, Thanks for getting back to me, please can you tell me have things changed on this site as i normally get replies in my email in box but i was curious that I hadn't had any at all for a couple of months or more and today I log in the here to find these replies.

I getting a bit stressed out with it as I was told i needed an op but the surgeon told me in no

uncertain terms quite rudely, (i might add) that I couldn't have an operation as it would kill me as I a have a pacemaker and to add to my problems my doctor has told me i cannot have any more antibiotics as I have had 3 flares this year so where do I go from here as I'm 75 . At the moment I'm not too bad but i feel that i have a slight bulge in the lower left side and it gets worse when I'm moving about. This scan you had, no one as ever mention to me about having one do they give you a scan for DD again Thanks

• Posted

Hi Jenis sorry about the way the layout of my post was don't know it did that, hope you can read it Ok

• Posted

Hi there Thomas...I haven't been on the site very long so don't know about any changes...although I've had to mark e-mails to go to inbox as they were going into spam folder.

I've had a few scans over the last couple of years but the last one colon had narrowed so much that they had to stop and I went in for a CT Colonoscopy ( Virtual)...no camera just air and special x-ray equipment to examine.

I just googled scans with a pacemaker and found this...*CT scan can be done even if you have a pacemaker or cardioverter defibrillator. Sometimes a CT scan will be done after you have swallowed a contrast medium. The contrast medium blocks the X-rays and shows up white in the scan...whether this could apply to you or not ? I get mixed up with all these medical abbreviations!

I'm 70 and had a TIA (mini stroke) about five years ago consultant knows this so looks like I'm still good for the op...going in for an Assessment tomorrow and have been booked in for the op on the 12th.

Do you only see one Doctor...can you ask for a second opinion?

• Posted

No idea what I did with last post...some missing and different fonts though I did nothing different when typing...So re-posting.

Posted a moment ago

Hi there Thomas...I haven't been on the site very long so don't know about any changes...although I've had to mark e-mails to go to inbox as they were going into spam folder.

I've had a few scans over the last couple of years but the last one colon had narrowed so much that they had to stop and I went in for a CT Colonoscopy ( Virtual)...no camera just air and special x-ray equipment to examine.

I just googled scans with a pacemaker and found this...CT scan can be done even if you have a pacemaker or cardioverter defibrillator. Sometimes a CT scan will be done after you have swallowed a contrast medium. The contrast medium blocks the X-rays and shows up white in the scan...whether this could apply to you or not ? I get mixed up with all these medical abbreviations!

I'm 70 and had a TIA (mini stroke) about five years ago consultant knows this so looks like I'm still good for the op...going in for an Assessment tomorrow and have been booked in for the op on the 12th.

Do you only see one Doctor...can you ask for a second opinion?

• Posted

Yes I do and I have asked to go to another hospital but they keep sending me back to the same Hospital. I just want to talk to someone who well answer my questions but the Dr at this hospital just said he was singing me off, and that was it, im going back to my doctor at the end of this month to try again in getting them to sent me to another hospital. Thanks for the reply

• Posted

Jenis is right....you can have CT with a pacemaker. It's not affected as CT uses X-rays not magnetic resonance.

• Posted

Hi Guys, I hope you can all read this, many thanks for all your replies to my posts.

I was surprised to find you all in my email in box this morning as It's not been working for some reason .

The Pains not good this morning just taken 2 paracetamol the pain seems to get worse when I move about but I still don't feel ill and on temperature ,

Many thanks to you all. brannie- Jenis and glen

• Posted

The best route is to go on the clear liquid diet for a couple days, if it doesn't work you need to go to the doctor. With diverticulitis you really have to watch what you eat. I was in the ER multiple times in 18 months and HAD to steer clear of certain foods. There are websites that will give you an idea of what's acceptable for diverticulitis. I've since had the sigmoid colectomy (6 months ago), and am still testing and trying different foods I hadn't had in years. If you go out to eat don't hesitate to ask them how the food is cooked and what's in it. This disease is life threatening and no matter how hungry you are for certain foods, remember it could kill you.

• Posted

Hi Guys, I hope you can all read this, many thanks for all your replies to my posts.

I was surprised to find you all in my email in box this morning as It's not been working for some reason .

The Pains not good this morning just taken 2 paracetamol the pain seems to get worse when I move about but I still don't feel ill and on temperature ,

Many thanks to you all. brannie- Jenis and glen

• Posted

Well, I am new on this site but I have suffered for 5 years. So far I have not had to take any antibiotics because my diverticulitis was inflammatory and not infection. I had no high temp and no abnormal bloods. I have pain on most days but some pain free.

My last bad flare was in April when I had severe pain in my left side and pelvic floor and bladder pain...definitely not a UTI! I also had low back pain and cramps. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and have had 2 colonoscopies in 15 months and the last one showed progression of the diverticula to severe.

So, yes, you can get pain without infection. Get checked out, though, because it can very easily go away on its own if mild but it can also escalate.

• Posted

Hi Brannie many thanks for you reply, I have been like this 3 times this year, it's driving me nuts. please can you tell me with Diverticulitis can it give u problems going for a pee as I seem to be having problems in that area also

• Posted

Yes, it can. It certainly does with me. I think it might be when the inflammation/infection is near the bladder. It also always affects my back and the dull low backaches I get usually warn me my DD is on the warpath again!

If you haven't got a temp and don't feel ill then try going on a low residue diet for 48 hours, if you are able, or even liquid broths for 24 hours to give your bowel a rest. If the pain escalates or you feel ill and have a temp then get to the GP soon.

Good luck and hugs. x

• Posted

Hi thanks for your your reply and its a big help as was beginning to think i was starting with other. all you are telling is the same as I'm having at the moment.

Can I ask as things seemed to have changed on this site as I used to get all replies to my posts and other peoples posts to my email address inbox but I have have none for some time now. many thanks for your help.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your your reply and its a big help as was beginning to think i was starting with other problems, all you are telling me about yourself is just the same as I'm having at the moment.

Can I ask as things seemed to have changed on this site as I used to get all replies to my posts and other peoples posts to my email address inbox but I have have none for some time now. many thanks for your help.

I'm sorry about the earlier unfinished reply, i don"t know what i did but it posted it before I finished.

• Posted

I'm new to this site so can't really help with your question. Still feeling my way around.

Hope you are feeling a little better......if that pain worsens or you feel ill and get a temp you must get checked.

I'm hoping it's easing, Thomas.

• Posted

Many thanks to you all. brannie- Jenis and glenda

• Posted

The pain you describe does sound like diverticulitis but do you think you could have a hernia? This can cause pain on movement just as diverticulitis can. Just a thought but then DD is a great mimic of other complaints, unfortunately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.