Diverticuli throughout my whole colon

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just had a colonoscopy and the found diverticuli in every section of my colon.... transverse, ascending, descending and sigmoid. Does anyone else have them all throughout? Does anybody have any dietary advice so I can avoid future attacks of diverticulitis?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes that's me as well.  I've been managing this disease for 17 years almost.  You will find an excellent post on this Forum called Divi Diners, started by Jacqueline several years ago - just keep searching through this Forum. 

In the meantime my method of avoiding future attacks is to take a daily stool softener Fybogel (UK) or Metamucil (USA).  Mine is prescribed by my GP but if one doesn't suit there are others to try.  They are not laxatives, but bulk and soften the stool making them easier to pass and keeping the bowels clear.  I also take daily pure Aloe Vera and a probiotic - there are many available.  I kept a daily food diary to work out if certain foods triggered symptoms.  Modern doctors now say you can eat anything but that's not strictly true.  Most of us have foods that trigger pains but each of us is different.  Mine if gluten and full fat.  Others can't take nuts, seeds, pips, dairy, skins, popcorn, red meat - all sorts of different things which I can eat.  It's just trial and error.  Also eat well cooked small meals - no blow-outs to overwork your bowels.

At the first sign of a flare I go on a liquid only diet for 48 hours - that normally does the trick.  If an infection develops and antibiotics are needed then it's fluid only until the pain subsides, followed by a low residue diet without fibre ie mash, steamed fish, broth.  Finally slowly fibre is reintroduced in small quantities .  Good luck

• Posted

Thank you! I'll check out that dining thread and ask my doctor about miralax!

• Posted

I recently had a colonoscopy and my doctor told me that I didn't just have a few pockets but hundreds! I also have an abnormally long and twisted colon which I'm sure adds to my constipation problems.  For years I took 1000mg of magnesium a day and it seemed to work.  In October I had a flare that I contribute to extreme stress and anxiety and the magnesium just didn't do it for me anymore.  My doctor told me that I should do Metamucil for the rest of my life.  I have used it since October but it just doesn't seem to be efficient.  Yesterday, I bought Benefiber and will give it a try. For me, keeping myself calm is key and also being regular.  I am very fortunate that I can eat most all foods with no problems. I do take a daily probiotic and try to stay hydrated.  Other than the  severe diverticulosis my colon is healthy with no polyps or cancer.  Good luck finding what works for you and hopefully keeps you pain free.  My best wishes for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.