Diverticulitis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had several attacks over the last few years but have been sympton free for 1.5 years.  Everytime I have had it, I had a fever, passed mucous and had a lot of pain.  The last two days, no fever, no mucous but mild pain and lots of back pain.   Pain is almost gone today and feel fine.  Have any of you ever had a confirmed case of diverticulitis but had no fever?  

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have. I never have had a fever and have had more than I like to count. I just know the feeling and always correct. Feel lazy, tired. Just don't want to move. Psin on left side and back. I use heat. If it's not feeling better in a day or two I'm off to doctor.

Antibiotics. I've had sever ct scans which have confirmed it.

• Posted

Hi Linda

It sounds to me like you are having a bout of what is known as Uncomplicated Diverticular Disease with Symptoms.  This is where you get some pain and maybe a few other symptoms, but not the acute pain and fever associated with the infection of Diverticulitis.  I'm not a medical person so suggest you read the article under Related Information, entitled Diverticular Disease.  This explains the difference.  A lot of people report back pain as one of the symptoms.  My osteopath said with Diverticular Disease a lot of the muscles are affected, become tense and it has a knock on effect into the adjascent muscles in the abdomen and back.  Others like me get to pee-a-lot as it seems to irritate the bladder.  I sometimes get niggles if I've eaten something I shouldn't, but I go back to fluids, take pain killers in necessary and am fine in a couple of days.

Or it could be just one of those things and totally unrelated, like over-exercising and pulled muscles! 

• Posted

Thanks for your thoughts.  My gastroc doc defines uncomplicated diverticulitis as anything that stops short of perforation, abscess, etc.  Even though I ended up in a hospital one time (overzealous ER doc) on drip antibiotics they always call it "uncomplicated".  Today, I would kill to eat some fruit with seeds but I won't do it.  However, if this was indeed a bout of diver, I am clueless as to what caused it.  I ate some battered and fried onion rings which I never do and wonder if that did it.  I hate this disease..................

• Posted

Hi Linda

My triggers are full fat - ie fried, and gluten ie batter!!  So put the two together and you could have your trigger.  Also onions give me wind which adds to the discomfort.  Over the years, as I get old, grumpy and with other medical issues, my food world has shrunk.  Add Slimming World to the mix, and my food has got quite limited, boring and healthy.  BUT - as a result I get far less problems, just the odd niggle, after months of pain.  For me, watching my diet has become essential.  I have set up a spreadsheet and keep a food diary daily. 

And I would kill for a bacon buttie and a bowl of Ben 'n Jerry's! lol

• Posted

Hello, I was diagnosed with suspected diverticulitis earlier this year as I had severe pain, high blood pressure and pulse but, unusually, no temperature. A few weeks later a Sigmoidoscopy confirmed the presence of diverticulae. Of course, they are quite common in people over fifty anyway and may cause no problem.

Since then some doubt has been expressed on the diverticular disease diagnosis as apparently it is very unusual not to have a temperature and my symptoms could be due to abdominal surgery I had last year. 

I have a lot of intermittent left hand side and back pain but I'm not sure if it is the diverticular disease. So I'm somewhat in the same situation as you; if you feel fine today it probably wasn't a diverticulitis flare up. Anyway, here's hoping you continue to feel fine. 🙂

• Posted

The last time I had a CT scan, they said it was definitely diverticulitis, but with a little colitis thrown in.  So maybe it was just a little colitis and no diver.  
  • Posted

Hi like you I have been symptomless for past 18 months. I had Diverticulitis confirmed 4 yrs ago after a colonoscopy. Like you the past few days I have had a flare up with no fever but mucus and slightly bloody too. Mine doesn't always hurt in the left side but rather all across low down and back pain. I have kept to a really bland diet and the pain is almost gone unless I strain of bear down. I haven't taken any antibiotics. So in answer to your question yes it is possible to have DD without fever. I guess this time we havevboth had a mild flare up. Hope this helps

Best wishes. Angela

• Posted

Hi - Everytime I've had a flare, it was pain, mucous, fever, but not this time and only two day duration of slight gassy pain.  It has passed so I'm in the clear right now.  Just curious how you all experience this awful condition.

• Posted

I have all symptoms you have but I had bloody mucous, you ever had that?
    • Posted

Hi

Yes I get the bloody mucus. It freaks me out but Dr said it's all part of diverticulitis. Also hurts when I bear down to go. Almost afraid to pass a motion!!!! Best wishes Angela.

• Posted

In my opinion that's a sure sign of my having a flair up. Passing gas is painful.

• Posted

No mucous this time and I always have mucous with a diver flare.  And pain was no where near what I usually have.  I could jump off the john when the mucous is passing, but nothing like that this episode.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.