Diverticulitis 3rd round of antibiotics

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have been dealing with my first diverticulitis flare up. I am so tired of dealing with pain. I was misdiagnosed and given antibiotics which I guess calmed pain a bit. Went back after done with those went back cause pain wouldn't go away. Was diagnosed with diverticulitis and hospitalized for 4 days and was given intravenous antibiotics. Was sent home with 14 days of antibiotic. Finished those and went to ER and was given a 3rd round of 2 antibiotics for 10 days. I'll be dine tomorrow and still in pain. I've put myself on liquid diet and taking a probiotic. Doctors say bland diet, some say regular diet with lots of water. Some say yes to seeds corn and nuts and others say avoid. I just want to know what you do to care for yourselves. I'm scared of food now 😨

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I feel so bad for you. I was first diagnosed with chronic acute diverticulitis in July 2016. Like you I had no clue as to what I could eat so I began my own research. In the following 18 months I had 19+ attacks, not counting going to the doctors in between. In my case I needed surgery from my first attack but because of insurance they wouldn't approve it. I was on a very strict, bland diet. Mornings I would eat maybe 1/2 banana (helped me to tolerate the antibiotics), 1/2 sandwich (no lettuce or tomatoes), dinner canned, boiled, broiled white meat, canned, boiled, broiled green beans, carrots, squash or mashed potatoes. Everyone is different so it's really up to you what your body will tolerate. Keep yourself hydrated with water, I would drink 1 small Gatorade for electrolytes, if you can get as much vitamins. At that time I had to take liquid multivitamin because my stomach couldn't take pills. Stay away from red meat, gassy, fried, and spicy foods. I finally had open cut sigmoid colectomy 2 years ago this May and feel so much better.

• Posted

Mari , I think the frustration is all of us are different and what works for other wont work for you. The very first thing is make sure your not infected anymore. All those antibiotics are probably causes inflammation. I found Bone broth to help better than chicken broth but mix the two for sipping or putting over mashed potatoes. If you can do broth, jello,Gatorade for 3/4 days to rest colon. Very, very slowly add a small amount of mashed potato and pureed vegetables. I even bought the baby food pouches to drink that has a fruit and vegetable. Baby pear juice is wonderful for inflammation. I will not even try, nuts or things with skins. I might be the one that it causes pain for. Even a tsp. Of creamy PB settles fine to give you protein. Keep us updated.

• Posted

Glenda, as you have been told already, everyone is different. It's trial and error until you figure out what your body will tollerate. I had a colectomy in Dec. of 2015. Following that there were 4 more surgeries last one being in April, 2016. I asked my doc what I should eat when I finally got sorted out. He said anything I wanted, that I would soon learn what my body could tollerate. I still live my that mantra.

I would certainly follow a liquid diet or very, very soft foods for about 2 weeks. This will give your colon a chance to rest from all the work digesting food not to mention doing it with an infection. Take your antibiotics faithfully. If one makes you too sick, talk to the doc. There are more than one that you can take that will fix the infection. Rest and take care you yourself.

I know you are miserable right now but know that there is an end in sight. You will get well. DD is a miserable disease and this is the place to talk to those who have been there and done that. They are a wealth of information for you. Again, not everything will work for you that worked for us, but don't give up. Keep changing and trying different things but give one time to work before you change to something else. You can mix our advice. Eventually you will find something that works for you.

Keep us up to date on how you are doing. We will be here to talk to you, to listen to you and to pray for you. Chin up chickadee. You can do this.

Lucy

• Posted

You answered to the wrong person...lol. You are absolutely right, EVERYONE tolerance is different. I was pretty much like you, lived on bone marrow broth, bananas, canned carrots and green beans, mashed potatoes (no skin), canned, boiled, broiled and grilled white meat. Very rarely ate broken up hamburger. Stayed away from high acidic, gassy fruits and vegetables. I was so happy getting the surgery but still am extremely careful as to what I eat. Still stay away from nuts, tomatoes, gassy vegetables. Just barely been able to eat broccoli (not much). Have to basically reach my body to tolerate "new" foods.

• Posted

So sorry Glenda. I thought I was replying correctly. Will be more careful. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Mari. I can relate to your problem. I too was mis diagnosed numerous times. Finally Doctor said diverticulitis. I have been on 7 courses of antibiotics. I have had one really bad flare up and was in extreme pain. it was the weekend, my husband was away and I had no transport to get medical treatment. My pain is in lower region below belly button. It is very painful after urinating. No body seems to know what is causing the pain, even Google. AFTER is the operative word. I have been treated for cystitis, endometriosis, infections etc still in pain. I am now on a waiting list for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. i have had the pain for 4 years. Doctor said there is nothing more he can do. I am so sorry you have this problem. As for food I have tried all combinations. nothing seems to work. The only relief I get is a hot water bag held on the painful area. Good luck, we must keep in contact.

• Posted

Mari. Please see the message to you but with Glenda's name on it. sorry for inconvience.

• Posted

Thank you all for your feedback. I thought I was going crazy and was the only one going through this. My neither was also diagnosed with diverticulitis but 10 days on antibiotics and he was good. I have done 3 rounds on antibiotics and still have pain. Went GI on Thursday and was scheduled for a colonoscopy but they don't have availability until January 22nd. I'm thinking of going back to ER

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.