diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Age certainly seems to be bowling me a few curved balls over these last few years as I have Acid Reflux accompanied with a Hiatal Hernia and now it seems that I may be suffering from this illness.

In the process of determining whether I am or not this week I was fast tracked  to attend my local hospital in case it is Cancer.

I was only given the appointment via the telephone on the morning of my appointment and that is relevant to the question I want to ask.

Over the Christmas holiday I noticed blood on the toilet tissue every time I went to the toilet and this continued for seven days hence my GP fast tracking me.

When I saw the hospital doctor after asking me some questions he decided to carry out a physical examination of my rear end.

He initially inserted his gloved finger in my anus and said he could not feel any problems and then decided to insert a camera probe also into my anus.Both an embarrassing and painful procedure.Thankfully he said again everything looked ok. So my question is given I had not refrained from eating all day and he did not give me an enaema how on earth could he see whether I had any problem as what he was examining would not have been clear. Can I trust his opinion or should I seek further advice.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Blood on the tissue, but not in the stool may be hemorrhoids. Did the doctor only feel in your anus, or did he visually inspect the superficial area?

Tar, or dark stool is blood in the stomach. The closer to red the blood is, the further down the digestive track the source of the blood. Bright red blood is either colon, or hemorrhoids. Or, near the end of the small intestine.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. He did place the camera probe into my anus and he did comment that he thought the bleeding was from hemmeroids. I am just doubtful about how much he could have seen on the camera given my colon etc must have been full with digested matter.
  • Posted

Hi,

I just was told to get a blood test from the doctor to find out if it was really ibs or something more sinister, fortunately for me it was ibs.  Why dont you ask for a blood test from your doctor also, as it can detect alot of things.  

• Posted

Same with me, I had the blood and went through the trauma of multiple fingers up my rectum.. 2 colonosopies, an Abdo CT and an Abdo MRI and numerous stool samples and blood test after blood test.. Nothing was detected except a polyp near my anus which was removed which was probably the cause of the blood.

All along the blood work showed nothing sinister and this is still the case as I've had full blood workup done over a year later to see if there was any changes and things are all normal ranges.

Needless to say, since the polyp was removed I'v had no blood at all.

Perhaps you should at least have a colonosopy to put your mind at ease?

• Posted

Thanks MrP..  I will keep that in mind. At the moment it seems to be ok but if I get a recurrence I will pursue your idea more.
  • Posted

I have exactly the same issues as you (and more) and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy over a year ago which is when I was diagnosed with diverticulosis which is what the disease is before it becomes infected and then the real trouble begins.  My ex-mother-in-law lived with this disease and had several surgeries to remove parts of her intestines.  However, she never watched what she ate and usually stuffed herself.  If I were you, I would get a second opinion from a gastroenterologist and I am sure that he/she will suggest a colonoscopy.
    • Posted

You are very welcome and I would love to hear from you and what you decide to do.  I know how tough it is when one's health isn't one hundred percent.  Good luck!

Frankie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.