Diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was having sooooo much pain on Wednesday I thought I was dieing went to the er told him my my symptoms they did a cat-scan and found out I have diverticulitis is that normal to know what you have just by cats can don't have to go to a gastroenterologist to find out if I have diverticulitis or is it possible to know by a cat-scan my stomach has been in so much pain it feels like it's Contracting 3 times worse than having a child they sent me home with some antibiotics for 7 days I will have to go and talk to the GI doctor but now I'm resting for the last couple today I'm feeling a little better I'm not as much pain as before but my stomach is growling and making funny noises I tried to eat some chicken broth it's just making the noise were struggling when I went to go take a bath it's like jelly like a dark brown do you know what that is why is it coming out like that I'm very worried

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey. I had diverticulitis for 6 years and been through all the meds and fiber speech. Frankly, the meds made me sick and I felt so miserable I finally thought surgery was the answer. So I went to surgeon and he told me no surgery. He told me to get Metamucil and you will be fine. Also, stay away from greasy fried foods. Your body will tell you what you can eat. Be your own advocate and keep seeking knowledge.

Since that meeting I have had not one flare up and pain free. I take it twice per day.

• Posted

When I was diagnosed a few months a go, it was through a cat scan but I was put in the hospital for 4 days on IV antibiotics and then sent home with 2 weeks worth. I was on a full liquid diet for a few days, and then slowly introduced food. I've learned what foods I need to stay away from (seeds, nuts, corn, fried and greasy foods). Others say they can eat whatever they want without a flair up. It's trial and error. I do drink a lot of water and that helps. Stress plays havoc on me so I'm learning meditation practices. Find a good GI you like! Good luck to you! It is manageable, so keep your chin up!

• Posted

Tammy,  I have tried all your ideas.  I have not had any seeds, nuts, corn, fried or greasy foods.  I am retired and have no stress and have always drank a lot of water. I have been on a liquid diet and that has helped but, I have lost 40 lbs and a lot of energy.  For me it has not been manageable. I am meeting with my GI next week for a surgical opinion. 

• Posted

Ron I had diverticulitis for 6 years and been through all the meds and fiber speech. Frankly, the meds made me sick and I felt so miserable I finally thought surgery was the answer. So I went to surgeon and he told me no surgery. He told me to get Metamucil and you will be fine. Also, stay away from greasy fried foods. Your body will tell you what you can eat. Be your own advocate and keep seeking knowledge.

Since that meeting I have had not one flare up and pain free. I take it twice per day.

• Posted

Good luck Ron. My GI told me I should have surgery as well if I have another flair up. I'm hoping that is not for a long time. I'm pretty picky about what I eat, I keep a food journal and keep things on the bland side. I do take a probiotic as well. I hope you get answers soon - keep us posted.

• Posted

Stacey,  I am sorry to hear of your pain.  It is normal to have Big D diagnoised with a CAT scan.  Also, the standard intial treatment is antibotics.  I have been suffering for 4 months now. I have tried antiboitics of 30 days.  Many on this discussion have been keeping a journal to record what food may trigger the pain. I have keep a journal but so far all foods trigger the pain. I have tried Aloe Verra drink.  It has not worked. I had a colonoscopy 2 days ago and it was confirmed.  The gasto Dr. says he can not do any more I should seek a surgical opinion.  Diverticulosis has not been kind to me.  Good luck and I will let everyone know as soon as I hear about any miracle cure.
    • Posted

Hi Ron,

​Have you taken probiotics to restore the good bacteria after taken antibiotics. Also Aloe Vera drink will not work, you need to try aloe vera juice or gel. Get 100% good quality kind.

• Posted

Yes I take probiotics every day.  So far, no improvement.  I will look for the juice and try it.  Thanks. 
  • Posted

Hi,

​When I was diagnoised with DD I had the same pain and was discovered through a cat-scan. A liquid diet is great to do from time to time to give your system a rest. Aloe vera juice or gel has worked great with me and intestinal healing herbs with lots of water. The jelly like brown may be old blood that has come out of the pockets in the DD area. When it comes to food we are all different and you have to try different things and see how it makes you feel to determined.  With me I do the best with vegetarian diet and a little meat twice a month.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

"jelly like a dark brown" is most likely blood clots. You should mention this to your doctor. In my case it was a indication that the bleeding had stopped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.