Diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently got diagnosed with diverticulitis after a trip to a&e. My blood results were clear, my urine was clear - no blood in either. They sent me for a CT scan which came back clear. I have to do see my doctor in 2 days to schedule a colonoscopy.

My grandma has chromes & my uncle has colitis.

From what I can gather from this disease there is no cure. I am currently taking endine & nurofen. No antibiotics as of yet

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

With my diagnoses of Divertculisis my white blood count was over 11,000 and after ct scan with contrast I was sent home on two antibotics. I nthought diverticulsis means the one is infected. Sounds like u didnt have any infection so maybe u have the other divticula sp?
  • Posted

I too wonder if you have Diverticulitis.  A CT scan should have shown the presence of diverticula in the colon.  Also there should have been signs of infection in the tests and antibiotics should have been prescribed.  The symptoms of IBS or several other bowel conditions are very similar to Diverticulitis.  However a colonoscopy will give a definitive answer.  If you are UK based though, be prepared for a long wait, as it will not be considered an emergency.

You are correct in thinking there is no cure for this disease, but it can be controlled by diet.  I was initially diagnosed 16 years ago with IBS at A&E, but the colonoscopy showed Diverticuar Disease instead.  Until last year I had just 3 attacks and lived a totally normal life, just avoiding my trigger foods and taking a daily stool softener to keep my insides as empty and clean as possible.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Felinia

I have noticed a few of your posts.

Can I ask you this?. Do you take antispasmodics eg. buscopan? If so, how do you know when to take them? My prescription says take 1 to 2 tabs up to 3 times a day as needed.

I have taken them when I had bouts of obvious pain, but am wondering if I should also take them for example when I get a lot of wind/ diarrhoea/ sudden need for the bathroom?

It's only when I experience these effects that I realise the instructions aren't always as clear as I'd like them to be. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

• Posted

I take antispasmodic 30 minutes before meals 3 times a day. My dr prescribed them for me. I take paracetamol for arthritis and DD pain
    • Posted

Hi

I had the same helpful(?) instructions when I was prescribed Mebeverine as an antispasmodic.  I only take mine when I have actual spasms, which in my case feel just like birth pains.  They come over me in waves and can last for a few minutes to a few hours.  I do not take them as a precautionary measure.  But I have a built in dislike of taking medication unless absolutely necessary, as I already take daily pills for high blood pressure, and am concern with the possible conflicts of medication.  Not much help I'm afraid.

• Posted

Thank you for that Felinia. It is good to know I'm not the only one who finds aspects of it all a bit ambiguous.

• Posted

How did they diagnose you. I had a colonoscopy and that's when they saw it x

• Posted

I'm sure I read that ibuprofen / nurofen can increase the risk of diverticulitis. I have been advised to use paracetamol instead.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the responses. Got to wait 6 was till I see the colonoscopy doctor, then longer for the procedure.

Went to see my own Dr today & she gave me antibiotics - which I found strange as the hospital wouldn't put me on those before they discharged me.

Haven't heard the news about neurofen which is quite concerning

• Posted

Your doctor is just making sure you are totally free from infection before the colonoscopy (it can be dangerous otherwise) - hence the antibiotics and 6 week wait.  Bells 'n whistles approach!!!  I only ever take paracetemol for the pain.  In the USA it is CT scan first then colonoscopy.  You were lucky to get the CT scan first if you are in the UK. 

• Posted

I phoned my GP today told her what was going on she told me to hold off on the antibiotics and see how I am in the morning. She said if I get more pain a temp or blood I have to go to A&E or phone her

• Posted

What are they basing the diagnosis of DD on if the CT is clear it is obviously something else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.