Diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been dealing with this now for 5 weeks. I can’t tell you how many misdiagnosis I’ve had. From gas/constipation to a clear colonoscopy  

3 ER visits, 3 cat scans an X-ray two colon preps. I’m probably forgetting something.

My primary ordered the first cat scan, no dye, to rule out kidney stone and then stated me on antibiotics for diverticulitis. When they were running out she referred me to the gi doc. 

I landed in the ER for the first time. That’s when they said gas and constipation. No relief 

Second trip to the ER and constipation and gas.  Sent home with colon prep. No relief.

Then my colonoscopy got moved up and the gi doc says no diverticulitis some diverticulosis but o was good on the back end.

So now this week I land I the ER for my third trip and the cat scan shows it. Diverticulitis. I’m sent home with two antibiotics, 800 mg ibuprofen and Percocet for pain. Today is my third day of being laid up. No real relief yet and I can’t keep missing work.  

I really think that people that haven’t experienced this need a small dose. Even my wife seems annoyed that all I want to do is lay in the fetal position in bed. This has to get better soon. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Suggest you read all the recent posts, and get your wife to read them too - she needs to understand just how serious this can be, and you are not malingering!  There is no quick fix for this disease and you can expect to feel rough for 4 - 6 weeks, particularly as you didn't get the correct diagnosis and treatment at the beginning.  Also the antibiotics knock the stuffing out of you - they are NASTY!  Stick to liquids only for the time being then when you are ready to eat, make sure its low residue (no fibre) at first, before finally starting to introduce SOLUBLE fibre.  You will have to change your diet and lifestyle for life, to help prevent a recurrence, but this forum contains lots of helpful information when you are ready for it.

What you are feeling is totally typical for an attack of Diverticulitis.  Sadly it's not a "take 2 pills and you'll be cured in the morning" disease.  Most people simply don't understand the pain and debilitating effect of both the disease and treatment, and that includes the doctors and those who don't have it (including your employer, so for your own protection keep full written records of all your tests, misdiagnoses, treatment, medication, symptoms)!  It's only the people who have it who are in the best position to offer advice. 

My qualifications?  I've managed it through 19 years and 6 flares, but I'm not a medical person, just experienced.  As you are in the USA, the treatment is far more aggressive than here in the UK, where it is managed by diet, medication and lifestyle changes.  But if it is severe and affects your quality of life, the USA recommends surgery to remove part of your colon.  Major surgery and not to be undertaken lightly.  Best wishes

• Posted

The part I’m having a hard time with is trying to eat, if I eat the wrong thing I get a bad burning tummy ache with heartburn and anxiety. Which makes it worse. Feel like it’s taking a long time to heal. I keep a food journal which helps a lill , but still get ibyjibbys when it’s time to eat. I take Mylanta for heartburn, Metamucil and Omeprozole and Gas x. Plus Adivan for the anxiety. I also have a hard time sleeping . Any wise words to help.
    • Posted

The heartburn and bloating is the worse, and anxiety it causes me. The Dr wants to put me on Zoloft which scares me to start taking drugs. I cry a lot cuz just want it to go away. The Drs say to Eat eat eat cuz I’m malnourished, but scared to eat. Wish there was a magic pill . Does anyone take vitamins, or all natural stuff to help? I really enjoy this forum, I’m new to it . I was diagnosed in Feb. In hospital on Ivs then home on more antibiotics, so as of March 14th been off antibiotics and doing low fiber soft. Started doing smoothies for more nutrients. Eat yams and salmon. Went dairy and partial gluten free. But don’t know if it’s working yet. All suggestions are so appreciated. 
    • Posted

It's unfortunately still very early days for you since your diagnosis.  It takes weeks, even months to settle down.  What you are describing is typical of an an attack plus the side effects of the medication.  Many people on this forum report they have developed this depression and fear of eating and it does take time to recover your confidence.  Sadly it takes time and patience.

I am guessing from your medication you have other issues and food difficulties, as well as DD.  I also have a hiatus hernia which caused me to suffer from gastric reflux and heartburn, for which I take Omeprazole, and I have learned which foods to avoid.  I also suffer bloating which is relieved by the first bowel movement.  When I was recovering from my last flare, I took a daily probiotic to replace the good bacteria stripped out by the medication.  That does help the digestion.  I also take pure aloe vera daily in the form of a pill.  That is a natural remedy for healing inflammation and was widely used for centuries in the Canary Islands, where the Aloe Vera plant grows.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I hear ya I have been in ER 6x in 2 months. In hospital once with abcess. On 3 bouts of antibiotics ,developed intense anxiety and panic attacks. Just have to be patient eat the right foods, clear liquids for a few days. Beef, chicken bone broth is best. Then soft low fiber diet small portions to start. See nutritionalist as soon as u can . Good luck hope you heal fast.
  • Posted

Hi just try and be patient, this is horrible i know, there is no magic cure i was told it,s for life but be sensible listen to felina suggestions she has great advice, and has helped us all with this, take one step at a time, hope you feel well soon best wishes
  • Posted

It is such a slow process to recovery! But you have come to the right place for encouragement. It’s so frustrating when u don’t get the proper treatment from the beginning. I was wondering if they told you where it was located?? Most are in the sigmoid but can occur in other parts of the colon as well. That might be where the confusion lies.  If you aren’t happy with your Dr switch! We have to advocate for ourselves.  Every time I’ve had a flare it has taken months to resolve. If you are like the rest of us you want it fixed now.  Unfortunately it’s not that easy.  Start slow with foods! I found I could eat a half of a sandwich but definitively not a whole sandwich. I can eat fish and chicken and ground beef. I’m still eating canned fruits but miss fresh fruit. Same with fiber add it slowly. Good luck with this journey!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.