Diverticulitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies, yesterday i saw the Dr. and got a ct scan cause i had bad pains in my stomach, it came bk as diverticulitis, got some medicine, and cannot eat just broth, is this also an autoimmune and related with LS? anybody else has this, im scared my ls will get worse ...janie

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've had diverticulitis which is very painful, but had that about 20 years ago but only just diagnosed with LS. Not sure about it being an immune disease, all in aware is Diverticulitis is related to constipation and not enough fibre in your diet. Hope you get it sorted x

• Posted

thank you sues, i will try and find out what else to do , have been watching what i eat but i did pig out on chinese food that day..so you have it under conrtol? janie

• Posted

Hi, I too have LS for 10 years now, last year I was told I have diverticulitis , I dont think it is connected,

• Posted

thank you yvonne, everything is piling up on me now...is yours under control? janie

• Posted

Hi Janie, sorry to hear that.

I don't think there is a connection but you have to take care of yourself once you have just one autoimmune disease, but I'm sure you already know that and thats why diet is so important.

Remember stress can trigger flare ups, I know I have experienced that.... so take it easy.

• Posted

thanks guppy, yes now another diet of some sort for this one.... janie

• Posted

i also suffer from ls for 4 years. i wasnt aware diet could effect. ive just tried keto and wasnt working what do you all recommend?

• Posted

Hi Christine, not sure whether you was talking to me or not... Anyway, yes, diet does effect Lichen Sclerosus.

What many of us have found is that diet doesnt cause LS but once you have LS you have to cut out sugar as much as you can, eliminate dairy if possible, and for some of us going gluten free seems to help. Obviously its not a good idea to do all that at once as then you wouldnt know if in fact you react to anything..many of us do..but obviously we are all different.

For example, (I'm super sensitive) if I eat a little bit of chocolate and perhaps drink a glass of wine, within an hour or so I start to feel that familiar irritating itch in my Vjay. I know it sounds crazy but if you look online there is a LOT of information on Vulvodynia and oxalates, so it is not a stretch to realise that LS is similar in that respect.

Basically if you eat a healthy unprocessed, dairy free, low sugar diet you should be fine. I'm not a big believer in following strict diets because its too restrictive and not only that you have to find out what works for you as an individual.

• Posted

HI janie , I have diverticulitus for twenty years . Mine was due to trauma of my bowel due to two major operations in one month.

It is not an autoimune disease , but highly sensitive to your diet as is LS.

Due to my LS starting in my anal area i did wonder if there was some conection ?

however stress also triggers my Diverticular disease.

Take care of your self and rest as it is very exhausting .xxx

• Posted

hi susan, i wonder how i got this, it just happen all of a sudden, but i did have a heavy meal of chinese food that day and it started that night, today was my first day to eat a soft scramble egg and my stomach didnt hurt not have gone to the bathroom,, i am taking antibioics but geez it was so painful...what do you eat so you dont get it ? thank you susan

• Posted

susan, do you take vitamins and a probiotic ? i have been taking all this for my LS and now i am afraid that might cause this diverticulitus to flare up if i take my vitamins and dont know what to do? janie

• Posted

I have diverticular disease, which was discovered when I had a bout of diverticulitis. I have lichen schlerosis and also low thyroid condition. It would be interesting to know if these and any other autoimmune diseases could be connected in any way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.