Diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffered from this before but this one was a real, real bad episode so bad that my anxieties became worse than ever I did not know how to handle my thoughts as all i did was worry from morning, noon, and night. I felt alone, and lost and in a very dark place. Never did I experience this horrible feeling I was at my wits end. I realize cause being sick and all that being alone with no support system I felt helpless

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I am SO sorry you felt alone with such a painful diverticulitis!

This is a great support group that really understands and cares!

I hope and pray you ate feeling better and finding support!

• Posted

Thank you I never thought that this would ever happen I did not know how to deal with what I was going through its really messed up when my doctor told me the other day that the cramps I was feeling was from my anxiety but I try telling him no its not the cramps I'm feeling are real. I stay afraid now cause I'm eating foods you give to a baby cause my upper stomach does not allow my food to move normal I feel as if the food causes the discomfort in my upper stomach today I started the meds he gave me only after he saw my ct scan results and told me the reason why I am experiencing pain in my lower abdomen is because my colon is inflamed . He heard mu cries, but never listened to me

• Posted

Anxiety can very quickly become a problem and when you feel physically ill, with no help from anyone, it can soon become a big problem. It can cause your stomach to cramp as the mental feelings affect your brain - which is what controls your physical feelings. The cramps are REAL but your doctor doesn't seem to know whether they have caused your anxiety or the anxiety caused the cramps!

If the ct scan showed inflammation then you do have a problem which the meds might help - can you tell us the names of them? It's useful to know as some meds actually can cause anxiety!

How long have you had the stomach cramps? When did the anxiety and discomfort in your upper stomach start? Have you had meds before or do you try to control it with your diet ('baby food'). Which country are you in?

Try to stay calm as anxiety causes more inflammation and will only make your pains worse. If you can find a comfortable position and relax with deep calm breathing this might help to ease the pain. There must be a forum on this site (or somewhere else) about relaxation techniques - using your mind and breathing to help overcome the pain.

Can you eat live yoghurt? Or some other food with probiotics in it (kefir, kombucha?). These 'good' bacteria might help to soothe your stomach and help sort out what's causing the cramps.

• Posted

The meds are Ciprofloxacin, and Metronidazole. I'm from New York. I just started the meds yesterday. My stomach feels very uncomfortable a lot of discomfort no pain. The cramping is in my lower abdomen especially when i need to poop. As of lately my breathing I can hear that might sound strange but its really weird. The discomfort has been going on for months its now that I feel I have had enough of feeling like this. First they thought it was stones, then ulsers and I have taken all of these different meds and today I am back as where I started still with no relief. I've had anxieties for years now, but my fears of being and feeling so sick kinda made my anxieties worse. I'm on a low fiber diet but honestly I'm started to feel weak

• Posted

Ciprofloxacin is well known for causing anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia. The FDA issued an alert about this last year. It might not be the best antibiotic for you. I'm not a doctor but I know Ciprofloxacin and all the other fluoroquinolones can have some side effects. Are you able to ask your doctor for a different antibiotic (not a fluoroquinolone - there are four other names so they sometimes just switch one for another!).

Have you ever taken Cipro before - or one of the other fluoroquinolones (Levaquin, Avelox maybe?). Some people can take one of these OK once or twice and then the next time it's prescribed they get problems.

If you tell your doctor you're having side effects he should change it - although metronidazole is often used on its own so he's probably just being really careful. If you start to get any aches or pains in your legs or arms you should stop taking the Cipro anyway (this is a new guideline in Europe) and see your doctor anyway.

If this doctor won't listen to you can you see another doctor instead?

• Posted

Really, I did not know that. He provided me two meds as i listed before and guess what I just got out of the hospital again for the same issues and after taking real xrays i found out that my lining in my stomach is inflamed and this is why I have been having issues with my stomach so tomorrow I will go and pick my my medication for this issues

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.