Diverticulitis and anemia

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all, I have just been diagnosed with Diveticulitis after having an Colonoscopy 2 days ago. Have google most of the info on diet etc until I go back to see my Consultant. I am due a scan 2 weeks time. Before I had the procedure I had blood tests which came back to say that I am anemic.

I also have a hiatus hernia and gallstomes. I know I need to go on a high fibre diet (avoiding bread as I know it bloats me). I cannot take iron tablets as yet till I see my doctor so eating fresh spinach like theres no tomorrow to help the iron levels.

has anyone else got anemia with Diveticulitis? how has it been treated?

this is such a wake up call for my heath, as my hh and gall stones aren't much of a problem.

thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ive just had this diagnosis too after years of being told it was IBS by previous GP. I also found out from a pre op test that too have anemia and I think its got something to do with the inflammation not allowing your body to absorb all the nutrients it needs, in this case iron. I use Floradix which you can get from a health food shop as I cannot tolerate prescription iron. How are you doing now? Despite my diagnosis I still have immense pain in the colon area so Im not sure we have completely come to the right conclusions yet as my understnding is that DVlitis doesnt cause pain when there is no active infection.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for the response. I have yet to go back to the consultant for the follow up appt tosee what I can take for my iron levels as I know the iron tablets can bung you up and that wont help the divetcultis at all. I have got a lot of info off google. I still get the odd pain so i know i need to go on a high fibre diet to help to sort the pain.

Thanks for heads up on Floradix I will try and get some to see how that does.

Cheers again Lou

• Posted

As I've said a while back, I'm an engineer not a medic - and forgive the semantics, but - 'diverticulitis' is the acute phase of the chronic disease 'diverticulosis' aka 'diverticular disease'. Pretty much by definition, diverticulitis is painful! If there is an aim in the management of diverticulosis, it must be to avoid ever getting the acute phase. Assuming I was correctly diagnosed following colonoscopy, I can gladly say that my diverticulosis has never moved(!) to the acute phase. I questioned "if" the diagnosis was correct, because small amounts of pocketing might be evident in a great many middle-aged people, but the alternative of the neurologically-based 'intractable colon' might be more costly to differentiate - so it might not be done, perhaps. Either way, I suspect the treatment is very similar, so maybe it doesn't matter which is the dominant factor.

My strategy is to use one 5 mg Bisacodyl (eg 'Dulcolax' ) tablet every 5 - 7 days (depending on convenience - or availability thereof!). In my case this gives me (after an overnight medication) one day of needing to be close to a loo, followed by 4 - 6 days of trying to keep a routine for daily passage - but ultimately missing a day or two - and then medicating again, in the 5 - 7 day period.

'For me' (an important rider) keeping to this routine avoids pain, guarantees a 'reset' of the accumulation and keeps forward planning a bit more predictable. In my opinion, the important thing is to clear the gut well within 10 days. In my more optimistic times, I tried to lengthen the time between 'resets' - but that just causes more bloating and discomfort - which would no doubt lead to painful diverticulitis.

If this methodology sounds a good idea for you, then I suggest you print this out and talk it over with your GP.

• Posted

Hi Cauli. yes it is all about management. A gentler way I've used in the past is colon cleanse available from holland and Barrett. I think what some of us are unsure about is whether the pain comes from the diverticulitis or whether in my case I'm wondering whether the pains related to too much ibuprofen and having diverticular disease is a red herring! Also whether having anaemia is related to it all. I will check out the intractable colon on google thanks for your input.
    • Posted

ibuprofen is a big no with diverticulitis. I was in a accident and having lots of shoulder pain so I was eating the ibuprofen every 4 hours for days. Then I got hit with an acute bout of diverticulitis. I mean hit hard. Passing massive blood clots, lost consciousness and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. They gave me blood transfusion and sent me home the next day. I have no energy, feel like crap finally got the strength to go back to see a doctor and they did blood work on me and I am very anemic. They told me to start taking an iron supplement daily. Dr Google (lol) tells me I should not take iron accept in liquid form which sounds dreadful.

I get so much conflicting information on this disease between different doctors and Dr. Google i feel miserable and wish the good Lord would take me home now. Sorry for being such a downer.

ANYHOW the IBPUPROFEN is what caused the recent flareup - only take Tylenol or non-aspirin type pain relief. i don't want anyone to go thru what I sent thru. God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.