Diverticulitis and Blood in Urine??

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

My GP has said I have diverticulitis (ct scan in a few weeks to confirm) but she also found blood in my urine?

Is this common with diverticulitis as starting to think I've also got something wrong with my kidneys!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Many people with Diverticular Disease (DD) also find they get urinary tract infections (UTI).  I wonder if it's to do with the DD irritating the bladder.  I trust you have been given antibiotics for the diverticulitis.

• Posted

No she did not prescribe me any antibiotics. I'm not in acute pain at the moment but the pain in my left side is uncomfortable and worse in the morning and when I'm sitting, but if I'm moving about I don't notice it as much - is that normal?

• Posted

Diverticulitis is usually accompanied with fever, chills, cramps, altered bowels, low left hand pain.  Sounds like you just have the inflammation rather than infection needing antibiotics.  The left sided pain is typical, and I found sitting, bending and lifting aggravated it.  But I also found that once I'd had a bowel movement, the pain eased.  Glad you're having the CT scan as it's much less invasive.  But the colonoscopy is the definitive tool for diagnosing DD.  You may like to consider getting some dip strips to test your urine (online or chemist).  If you follow the chart, it tells you whether you have blood and/or leucocytes in your wee.  These are the markers for a urine infection.  I know doctors are getting increasingly reluctant to prescribe antibiotics because of developing resistance, but you might seed some if an infection shows up.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying and keeping me from a total anxiety attack. Sometimes wish google was never invented! Got a lot of tests coming up, along with the ones past but just want to know what’s wrong with me and why I’m getting this pain and blood in urine
  • Posted

I have blood in my urine every time I have an attack but no one has ever figured out why despite many tests.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply and that's put my mind a little at rest but not totally.  Dr Google puts the living sh*ts in you!!

• Posted

I get U T Is a lot never had them before I was diagnosed with DD. My DR sent me for a colonoscopy he said they are better for diagnosing DD I also had a sigmoidoscopy
  • Posted

I also have blood in urine gp said it wasn’t connected and went for a cystoscopy nothing found going for results of kidney scan in April. Will let you know the outcome. My dd was also confirmed with ct scan and the consultant didn’t think I needed a colonoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.