Diverticulitis and Cipro side efects

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was given Cipro and Flagel, doc mentioned side effects but I was so sick I didn't pay attention. Turns out one of the side effects of Cipro can be a ruptured achellis tendon, I did not have a rupture but after 10 days of Cipro the very next day my heel started hurting, I would be walking fine and then out of nowhere a pain would shoot up the back of my heel and it became frequent. Very painful! Went to the foot doctor and he confirmed that the Cipro can weaken the tendon and cause small tear and tendonitis, I am now walking in a gel brace for a couple of weeks. Just wanted to alert everyone to make the connection. Now Cipro has been added to the lsit of antibiotics that I cannot take. I was told if I took it again the side effect could be worse each time.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I meant effects.
  • Posted

I had never heard of Cipro or Flagel until I came on this group What is it used for? My dr gave me amoxicillin with penicillin in it for my flare ups x
    • Posted

I'm allergic to amoxicillin so they gave me Cipro which is another antibiotic.

• Posted

Yes, I once had a similar reaction to Cipro with one of my heels and did not connect it to the drug until I read about the possible side effect much later. I have taken it since then and it has not happened again. It is a worry though.
  • Posted

thank you Linda for this info. I took cipro for the first time ladt month with flagyll... i have never been as ill in my life as I was those nine days... i was short of breath, had trouble swallowing, shaking uncontrollably at times... Looking back I am wondeting if this might have been an allergic reaction... would love some opinions on this
    • Posted

Cipro and flagel are nasty. You do feel terrible while on them but I haven't had the symptoms you had. Read up on the side effects and see if those are included. You can also go to your pharmacy and ask them. The pharmacist usually can be very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.