Diverticulitis and Colonoscopy results

Posted , 2 users are following.

i was diagnosed with diverticulitis in September 2019. I went to ER with stomach pain, which was similar to the pain I experienced with kidney stones, except I could not pin point the exact place. Upon arriving, I did not have a fever and my WBC were only slightly above normal range. I was given FLAGYL and CIPRO (And hydrocodone-which I did not take. Followed up with colonoscopy on 5 Dec. which showed diverticulosis in the sigmoid and descending colon. Removal of (A) 2 10-15 mm polyps-piecemeal in transverse colon and (B) 9 mm polyp in sigmoid colon. Results (A) colonic mucosa with hyperplastic, serrated gland, one piece is dysplastic - (B) colonic mucosa hyperplastic, serrated.

The past few days I have been having the similar pain which originally sent me to the ER. No fever or other symptoms I am reading about. PMC doctor just went out of practice-have not been reassigned yet. No follow provided from gastrointestinal dr other than repeat colonoscopy in 6 months. Results provided on hospital portal-no explanation/guidance provided. If the pain is diverticulitis-can it go away on it’s own if I gut through pain? Are results worrisome? 50 yr old female-5’5, 150 lbs, 25 BMI, history of kidney stone, switched from cigarettes to vaping (lowest nicotine) 7 yrs ago, ADHD, insomnia. Looking for guidance. Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hello April

my mom and father in law has diverticulitis and my mom had a episode after eating almonds and he pain was on the left lower abdomen she spend 5 days in the ER. she went on a strick diet of no seeds, nuts or fiber .

a few years ago my father in law was in severe pain for a few months by eating pecans so he did not went to the doctor so he was rush to the ER and he went in to surgery to removed part of his colon.

i dont have that but i have precancerous polyps so i have to go every 5 years to get a coloscopy

• Posted

Eliaimee, Thank you for your reply. Do you know how long it was between eating the nuts before each has experienced the pain? Although I was told that it medical profession has mixed feelings (50/50) about eating nuts/seeds being directly related the cause of diverticulitis, I have stayed away from them (for the most part). I believe there might have been pecans on a salad that I ate a few weeks ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.