Diverticulitis and IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

For many years I have suffered from IBS and for the last 15 years Diverticulitis. I am getting very frustrated because after suffering my last flare up it is a month since it started I seem not to be able to get my bowels back to normal. I take Cipro and Flagel and they really add to my discomfort. I tried other antibiotics but those didn't work and I have ended up in the hospital. Has anyone had these both conditions and how do you manage them? I tried probiotics and they helped while on antibiotics but I'm back to either constipation or diarrhea when I eat something that irritates my colon. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi , I had both of these , was only ever diagnosed with severe IBS though, several tests and cameras later still just got told it was IBS,, then 2 years ago I had a stitch like feeling in my right side.. and drinking caused bubbling there too and eating caused immediate pain , nothing I could not handle though. But got doctors to check it out next day.. was sent to hospital with suspected appendicitis.. laparoscopy revealed a perforated bowel, so immediate switch to open surgery to remove the diseased bowel and clean up the leakage 😕

must add that camera results said they could not reach to my right side due to scar tissue but it appeared fine ... nope it was diverticulosis, so diverticulitis had been missed , I was 38 at the time and it was on the right side of my bowel . diverticulitis will flare up and get infected . the pouches caused by diverticulitis then swell.. this is then diverticulosis, this is the stage that can perforate the bowel

it seems they prefer to treat with antibiotics but honestly I've had mine removed and I'm grateful, I still have IBS but oh boy can I eat more, I still have certain diets but I can et more if it , I was skinny for years and could barely stomach much without being in pain and pooing !! but now I feel like pig 😃

I found it was best to avoid oils but rape seed oil is more gentle on my tummy and tastier ! .

I have to avoid mashed potato, seeds , corn and pop corn and crisps and pea nuts. these are not broken down well especially with bowel diseases !!

try to think bulky. brown bread is good , rice also , chicken fish gammon and beef are all good if cooked slow and tender, veg will give lots of gas but it's good so try not to overload.

I avoid all processed meat I now go to my local butcher for all meat.

what do you find makes it all go wild ? fish and chips from the chippie are desperately missed here but that would make me so poorly

• Posted

hi , I had both of these , was only ever diagnosed with severe IBS though, several tests and cameras later still just got told it was IBS,, then 2 years ago I had a stitch like feeling in my right side.. and drinking caused bubbling there too and eating caused immediate pain , nothing I could not handle though. But got doctors to check it out next day.. was sent to hospital with suspected appendicitis.. laparoscopy revealed a perforated bowel, so immediate switch to open surgery to remove the diseased bowel and clean up the leakage 😕

must add that camera results said they could not reach to my right side due to scar tissue but it appeared fine ... nope it was diverticulosis, so diverticulitis had been missed , I was 38 at the time and it was on the right side of my bowel . diverticulitis will flare up and get infected . the pouches caused by diverticulitis then swell.. this is then diverticulosis, this is the stage that can perforate the bowel

it seems they prefer to treat with antibiotics but honestly I've had mine removed and I'm grateful, I still have IBS but oh boy can I eat more, I still have certain diets but I can et more if it , I was skinny for years and could barely stomach much without being in pain and pooing !! but now I feel like pig 😃

I found it was best to avoid oils but rape seed oil is more gentle on my tummy and tastier ! .

I have to avoid mashed potato, seeds , corn and pop corn and crisps and pea nuts. these are not broken down well especially with bowel diseases !!

try to think bulky. brown bread is good , rice also , chicken fish gammon and beef are all good if cooked slow and tender, veg will give lots of gas but it's good so try not to overload.

I avoid all processed meat I now go to my local butcher for all meat.

what do you find makes it all go wild ? fish and chips from the chippie are desperately missed here but that would make me so poorly

• Posted

too much FIBER really gives me cramps and diarrehea. it seems too many skins fill up the pockets. this is getting very old..

• Posted

madeline do you eat lot of food that contains histamine . maybe just that have a look at histamine .good luck

• Posted

Hi Madeleine, Many years ago when I was still teaching I had constant IBS. Tablets from the doctor would work for a week or so and then it would all start up again. Apples seemed to be one of the worst triggers. A friend of mine who suffered from diverticulitis told me about Aloe Vera juice and I duly got a bottle (plain) from my local health food shop and started taking a capful twice a day in cranberry juice. Result -no more tablets. I haven't looked back and now just take it once a day at breakfast time. I'm not saying this would work for everyone because we are all so different, and my problem, though distressing , may not have been as bad as yours, but sometimes the simpler remedies do work. I must also confess that I do eat what I consider to be a healthy diet with no red meat, and yes, I do now eat apple again- but not too much.

I do hope you find a solution soon.

• Posted

thank you so much. i will try the aloe vera juice if i can find it. i am getting very depressed nit being able to find something that quiets my inside. thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.