Diverticulitis and Meds (Cipro and Metronidazole: When?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was given prescriptions to take in the event that I felt I might be getting an attack of diverticulitis.  But I am concerned about taking these if there is anything I can do to when I first feel anything.  I have read so much about the meds and I am worried about those! 

I have had 4 diverticulitis episodes in 2 yrs.  I have to stop taking my anxiety meds while on the cipro and flagyl and I am finding I can't sleep through the night and I am feeling really on edge and like I am jumping out of my skin. 

Like everyone I am so afraid of it getting worse if I don't take the meds at the very first twinge. 

Also: what do  you avoid eating to prevent attacks?

Any advice?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

PS.... I am supposed to take 500 mg of Cipro and 500 mg of Metronidazole twice daily for 10 days... is that necessary?
    • Posted

I'm on anxiety/anti depressants and was never told to stay off then when having anti biotics.  Never noticed a difference.  Liquid diet and anti biotics pronto at first signs of attack.  I spent so much time in hospital the last 3 years, it wasn't funny.  Never got off a low fibre diet and had an abscess that kept giving me trouble.  Surgeon decided on surgery 9/11/17, I was in hospital 8 days and slowly introducing fibre.  Bring on the onions, tomatoes and cucumber.  So far so good, but bowel habits unpredictable as apparently the bowel doesn't like to be touched.  Having a colonoscopy about March after bowel heals to see what the rest of the colon is like.  Diverticulitis can apparently go to other parts of the colon,. I pray that doesn't happen so in a nutshell get onto anti biotics asap, liquid diet and my anxiety/depressants were taken.  I was never told otherwise. I'm in Brisbane, Australia

• Posted

Switch to a liquid only diet for 48 hours if you think you are getting a flare up.  That gives your insides a rest and usually does the trick.  It enables you to differentiate between a genuine flare up and the twinges you get with this disease which are part of the healing process, not a recurrence of infection.  If I were to immediately take antibiotics at every twinge I would be on them permanently, as I wake up with a niggle most mornings, which goes after the first visit to the loo.

As for the medication, each country has a different protocol.  In the UK it is 5 - 7 days.  In the USA I have heard of people having to take the medication for 3 or 4 weeks.  In parts of Scandinavia apparently no medications are usually given and people left to heal naturally (don't see how that works with a bad infection though!!).

As for diet, everyone is different and it is trial and error to find out what triggers your symptoms.  Most people keep a food diary to work out what they can and can't eat.  I can't eat wheat/gluten or full fat.  For others it can be nuts, seeds, dairy, red meat, popcorn.  All sorts in any combination.  The most consistent advice is to make sure you have enough fibre, but it should be soluble fibre, not insoluble.  Google will give that information.  I am prescribed a daily soluble fibre supplement / stool softener called Fybogel (Metamucil in the USA).  It keeps me regular and cleaned out.  There are various ones on the market if one does not suit.

This forum will provide you with lots of helpful information.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi bonnie it is worrying not knowing when to start on antibiotics I personally haven't been prescribed them yet thankfully I had my first attack last May I had had a few twinges around January time but put it down to the gym as it would come and go I had never heard of diverticular disease, in May I had the most horrendous left sided pain excruciating that radiated at times to my back I went to gp who sent me for a CT scan ultrasound sound scan and eventually a colonoscopy which flagged up diverticulitis. I now keep a diary of what I eat on a daily basis so I can keep track of what could cause pain. I eat a lot of homemade soups and in fact over the weekend I made a new soup which contained kale and I now know that kale is off my list as it caused pain. I do have some  pain most days until my bowels are emptied, I take cosmocol every day to soften my stools which is very important also when I have pain I keep my eye on it and just eat liquids for a couple of days until it subsides I also keep a thermometer handy so I can take my temperature to see if I have a high temperature which is also an indication of infection. You can have inflammation without infection I think inflammation can be managed with a liquid diet for a few days but infection in most cases need antibiotics but I personally try to avoid antibiotics at all costs but obviously this isn't always possible.

• Posted

I really didn't know you could have an inflammation without the infection!  Thank you for that information... that is so very valuable. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.