Diverticulitis and positive fecal occult test

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with non complicated diverticulitis years ago back in 2006. It was generally treated with antibiotics but usually cleared by itself with a 2 day liquid diet. I had a colonoscopy in 2014 which showed diverticular disease with diverticular pouches, no polyps at all.

Sometimes I go for long periods without symptoms and other times I get two or three flares a year which settle within 2 days going off solids. (without antibiotics)

I do get regular bowel discomfort though and have always had alternating constipation, loose bowels with frequent bowel movements which seems consistent with the disease. I have had a couple of single faecal occult tests with the older jar and scoop setup which were negative. Recently I had a much more accurate faecal occult test over three days with a far more thorough test kit involving the use of a stick to be inserted into the faecal matter at least 5 times in different areas of the faecal matter. I conducted the test over 3 separate days and sent it off. Day one was negative but day 2 and 3 were positive. I have now scheduled another colonoscopy but there is a waiting list. I am very nervous about the positive results but what I want to know is could this be due to the diverticular disease? We don't have a history of bowel cancer in our family. I know everyone fears bowel cancer but I have heard there are many causes of microscopic bleeding in faecal occult tests. I have been taking daily low dose aspirin blood thinner for over a year and also took nurofen the day before the tests. I also use lactulose daily and recently coloxyl stool softener for daily bowel maintenance.

I have a work injury (hernia) which needs surgical repair. I cannot at this time take the added worry of positive faecal occult tests. I should have got the test at another time so as to not overwhelm myself with additional worry.

I am having the colonoscopy anyway, but opinions re other possible causes of positive results would be much appreciated at this difficult time for me, thanks. I am apprehensive!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have recently been diagnosed and am reading through these posts. I have been told by my GP that two things I must not take are Aspirin and Ibuprofen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.