Diverticulitis Anterior resection surgery planned

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i have been admitted to hospital a few times over the last 2 years with diverticulitis and a large abscess. I have been advised after seeing a colorectal surgeon that I need around 10" of my sigmoid colon removed.

I'm absolutely terrified, after reading the paper work given and speaking to a colorectal nurse/surgeon it seems there are a lot of risks and possible things that can go wrong which I understand they have to explain.

I'm just trying to get some advice off someone that has had this surgery and ask if they experienced any issues after surgery such as nerve damage either bladder/ sexual or bowel.

If you had to have a tube down your throat after surgery for a few days and if you had to have a stoma how you emotionally coped with that.

I've recently got married and honestly am terrified about how this surgery might affect us, especially if it has long term after affects.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I had 12 inches of my sigmoid colon removed and resected in Augest of 2019. It was one of the best decisons that I have ever made! I had reocurring bouts of diverticulist for two years and was hospitalized 3times for it. I also was experiencing daily pain for months prior to the surgery. I was on the fence for a long time about having the surgery. After recovering from the surgery I have not experienced any issues. ZERO! My life now is night and day different than before the surgery. I used to read this forum daily before making my decision. This is actually the first time that I have looked at it since. It just isn't a part of my life any more!

Well wishes!

Janelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.