Diverticulitis attack 3 weeks ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am still recovering from diverticulitis 3 weeks ago. FInished my antibiotics but had no advise from dr as to diet! Have looked for info on the net and

gone on a low residue diet. Today thought I would have a little fibre and had  Weetabex. Stupid idea! Dr told me two days ago to take Imodium to stop my constant diarreah which has stopped the diarreah but I am so windy! PLease is anybody out there to advise me? I am scared of getting constipated again.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wynn

You should see a dietician for an eating plan. However I've been through all this so. Keep to a soft foods eating plan. Foods that do not contain or have minimum fibre in it and once you feel that your digestive system is getting better you slowly start eating fibre again.

For now rather eat rice crispies in the morning. Yogurt is also fine. Drink at least 2lt of water a day.

If you want more info you can contact me 082 846 7792.

• Posted

I was diagnosed in April this year & found there isn't much help to be had for this condition from Dr's in this country. This forum has provided me with information & advice on how to help cope with it, in particular posts from 4felinia who has lived with it for a long time. I was advised by Dr to eat a high fibre diet which didn't help during a flare up so l changed to fluids only until things started to settle then re introduced fibre very very slowly, lots of water & probiotic foods. I still watch what l eat & have discomfort at times but can usually relate it to too much fibre. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi

It will take some time for your insides to heal and settle down - it could be 4 weeks to (unfortunately) several months.  But hopefully the pain free days will increase and the niggles become less frequent.  The sort of fibre you want to SLOWLY reintroduce,when you feel ready, is not the insoluble fibre just yet, but soluble fibre.  You can Google and get a list of soluble and insoluble fibre foods. 

Top of the list of things to take is Psyllium Husk, which comes in the form of a flavoured powder which you mix with 12 oz water and chug down immediately before it thickens.  I get mine on prescription but you can buy it over the counter or on the Internet.  As I'm an old wrinkly, I get it free!!  It bulks and thickens the stools and makes them easier to pass.  It also has a mild laxative effect so you might want to wait until your runs and constipation have stopped.  It does give you more frequent movements (I have 3 - 6 a day) but it keeps the bowels clear so less chance of food getting trapped and causing more infection. I have had it daily for 16 years and it is considered safe for long term use.  It takes a couple of weeks to become effective - it's not a quick bomb like effect like other laxatives.  Incidentally one Forum member was getting constipated from Immodium and was told it was OK to take half a tablet.

I also take a teaspoon of pure aloe vera juice twice a day.  Revolting but good for internal healing.  Also good is probiotics which help replace and maintain the good bacteria your antibiotics will have removed.  I also make a lot of veggie purees and blended home made soups, and eat yogurt, steamed fish, grilled chicken.  I cook everything well, stick to small portions, chew thoroughly and drink plenty of water.

You need to bear in mind that some foods might not be suitable.  Although the current trend is no food is forbidden, most of us have found that some foods trigger a flare up.  In my case it is gluten, wheat (ie Weetabix - try Oatibix!!), full fat (sadly no more Ben 'n Jerry's).  For others it can be nuts, seeds, popcorn, dairy, spices, alcohol, red meat (which takes ages for the gut to process).  We are all different.  I keep a daily food diary (discipline from Slimming World) and it has helped me to identify trigger foods.  Sadly I had to add strawberries to the list last week.  If you can track down a post on this forum (about 9 months ago) by julia1040 it, and its replies, are full of good ideas.  Now I have lost almost a stone, my insides do behave better, so if you are overweight, losing a bit can help.

It's also perfectly normal to feel scared and to have lost your confidence.  It takes time to recover.  It's like if you break a bone, you don't immediately carry on as normal when the plaster comes off.  It still hurts!  If you read these posts you will find loads of people who are going through the same thing, and some like me who have come out the other side.  My first flare took 4 weeks, and I had no problems for 6 years.  Now it takes me a lot longer, but I get there.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks Felinia, I have found this very useful.  I guess the one thing I haven't done is keep a food diary - more fool me!  So I need to do that so that I can find my trigger foods as well.  I have to say my body every so often feels so beat up.  Does anyone else get absolutely exhausted?  I'm sure that it's part of not being able to absorb as much nutrition as before.  Any thoughts on this please?  Thanks again, L

• Posted

Yes, I have read lots of reports from people on this Forum who say this disease knocks the stuffing out of them.  I found the antibiotics are quite fierce and do have side effects, one of which is exhaustion.  They also seem to take some time to work themselves out of your system.  Also I think ongoing pain, and not knowing quite when it's going to hit, can also be very tiring.  You might well be right about less food intake than normal leaving you feeling tired.  I had not thought about it in that way.  I've actually just logged on to do my food diary!!  I keep it as a spreadsheet week by week.  I'm only still doing it now, because of Slimming World, so you might find a few weeks is all you need.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi feline. What you

said has been very useful. I too am an old wrinkly so might ask dr to give me the psyllium husk. Also will try the aloe Vera and probiotics. Had this flare up for 3 weeks now. Felt a bit better for a couple of days but had to go to dr today as having constant diarreah and  got more antibiotics feel so hungry but keeping on fluids. Told to take the Imodium in a couple of days. Hope I don't get constipated when diarreah stops. Will look soluble foods on internet.

• Posted

If you are still on fluids only after 3 weeks it might be part of the reason why your bowels are loose, although the runs is a typical side effect of this disease.  Susan on this site reported her GP said it was OK to take half an Immodium.  As you had been feeling better, you might be ready for some soft food like mash, steamed fish, soup, yogurt.  I actually find I am OK with scrambled egg, but not everyone can take eggs.  But no fibre at first.  Also if you are UK based over 60, you should get Fybogel prescribed free!
    • Posted

No I havn't been on liquid diet for 3 weeks. Just started yesterday as another flare up. I am starving! Tempted  to have scrambled egg on toast tonight. If the cramps go away tomorrow and I still have the trotsI will take an Imodium.  Should I start the fybergell when I take the Imodium? Feel I am getting more help from this forum than my medical centre. Yes I do get my fybergel free.

• Posted

Hi

I wouldn't take the Fybogel if you take the Imodium.  One is a mild laxative, the other most definitely is not!!  I'd leave the Fybogel until the flare is more settled.  Also I wouldn't have the toast, just the eggs.  Hard, I know!  How about something like cream of chicken soup?  Or both?  I don't normally eat tinned, but there are times to make an exception.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how I am getting on in a few days. Just don't want to get constipated when I take the Imodium!

• Posted

HI it's me again. I took the Imodium this morning so no more trots. Feeling a lot better and have had small meals today. Have ordered Phyllis husk tablets. However have you any idea when I should start the fiberjel which I  got from dr.? I do not want to get constipated and on the other hand don't want to have cramps and diarreah. Many thanks

• Posted

Fybogel is made from Psyllium husk, so I think the tablets and powder are one and the same thing.  Suggest you check the ingredients - I don't think you should take both!!!  I would give yourself at least a week to make sure you continue to improve and you do not have any more diarrhoea.  I would also suggest you don't overload your stomach but stick to small meals.  You can look towards introducing a small amount aof fibre slowly back into your diet.  I personally always start with veggie soup which I blend smooth.  I make a cottage pie and top with mashed carrot, swede and potato, or a fish pie with a similar topping.  If you like toast, I slice of wholemeal from a small loaf - no more.  If you get any problems then you know that food might affect you.  Hope this gives you some ideas.  If I've got the science bit wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me!

• Posted

Once again many thanks for your help. I will blend my own soups and make small dinners. It just takes a bit of getting used to after eating anything goes!
    • Posted

Spoke too soon still got diarreah! Suppose I just carry on taking Imodium till it stops. Someone said the antibiotics can cause diarreah and I still have a few days to take.
    • Posted

Oh yes - the antibiotics are the real villain of the piece.  Better than laxatives for giving you the runs and making you feel ######!  Your insides are taking a real bashing with antibiotics, immodium and everything else.  It will take a week or two after you've finished taking them to start to feel more normal and regular.  Hope you are better soon.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will stay off fibre until the diarreah has stopped even  if it takes a couple of weeks. I am just eating chicken fish  and a little mash and cornflakes and banana for breakfast. I took the low residue diet off the net so I have quite a bit of choice but I will take it very easy as I don't want to go through the 10/10 pain I had 4 weeks ago when I had to ring 111.

• Posted

Suggest you follow the Divi Diners blog.  It seems there is life after bland boring slop.
    • Posted

I couldn't understand why my diarreah has got worse over the last few days even after taking Imodium. But I read that activel yogurt can cause this and I have been taking one a day and sometimes two. What does everybody think is this true should I stop taking this yogurt till I am diarreah free?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.