Diverticulitis Attack

Posted , 2 users are following.

I would like to ask a few questions about diverticulitis. My mum had a severe attack of diverticulitis for the first time last month, she was for a week in hospital and given antibiotics through IV. She was recovering slowly for 2 weeks but yesterday she started to have severe diarrhea again and is full of rash from head to toe. She is back in hospital with drip. Is it common to have another attack in just short time? Rash is related to such condition? My mum was never constpated, she just gets severe diarrhea, is this diverticulitis effect? thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure about the rash being related to diverticulitis.  I've not heard of it before, maybe a reaction to antibiotics.  Diarrhea I find is very common, sometimes constipation.  Not unusual to get another flare soon after in my opinion.  When you suspect a flare start a liquid diet (clear fluids) straight away and don't muck around about antibiotics, if you have them take them or go and see GP and get some.  My diverticulitis started suddenly, I also had IB and always had a high fibre diet.  But I still got it and was hospitalized so many times I lost count.  Makes you feel very uneasy when you get attack after attack,. Not to mention so sick and life disrupted. I had surgery to remove part of my colon less than 3 years after first attack.  Not everyone gets it so severe and hopefully things really settle down for your Mum soon

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, cause we are feeling very lost how to adapt to this condition. Tests for the rash are undergoing and hopefully we get results by tomorrow. The number of times going to the bathroom has some how reduced a bit with the drip. Your answer was very helpful much appreciated.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, cause we are feeling very lost how to adapt to this condition. Tests for the rash are undergoing and hopefully we get results by tomorrow. The number of times going to the bathroom has some how reduced a bit with the drip. Your answer was very helpful much appreciated.
  • Posted

Sounds like the antibiotics could be causing the problem. The ones for this condition have a lot of side effects. Let us know how she is. 
  • Posted

I think it was the antibioties  they give her they can cause bad diarrhea and a rash.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.