Diverticulitis Attack

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All .

I went into hospital Monday night with another attack of Divi .

I was put on antibiotics through IV for one day and then changed

over to tablets and sent home with 4 more days of antibiotics .

I'm not eating , I'm only drinking water and chamomile tea ,

I can't eat soup . It's the stomach cramps that are the worst

this time , anyone know of anything that helps with cramps ?

I feel so worn out with it as I'm sure you are all familiar with .

I feel panicky in case it starts again . Had terrible cramps this morning

In hospital but they still sent me home . I have no support at home .

What's best to do if it all starts up again ? When do you start eating and what's best to eat ? I'm on a very restricted diet anyway .

Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You need to stay on a liquid diet. For a few days. Pure broth jello to calm your system down. It’s difficult because you’re hungry but saty with it. 
    • Posted

Also ask your Dr for Bentyl it will calm your digestive tract. 
    • Posted

Hi , I'm in the UKand have never seen pure broth jello .

Will ask my GP for Bentyl .

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Linda

Sorry I meant broth and jello separately. Not a jello broth. 

Sharon

• Posted

Put a heating pad on low on your abdomen.  It will help.

I drink mint tea and eat some pretzels or crackers. Drink a lot of fluids. The antibiotic does cause dude effects. I had the same experience as you did. I started taking a probiotic. I went to the pharmacy and told them my symptoms and they suggested the probiotic and it really helped. Your intestines are messed up from the antibiotics. It unfortunately happens but I’m sure is needed. Prayers and try not to worry. It does take time to recover.😘

• Posted

I am on antibiotics at the moment for a bacteria lung infection and they are playing havoc with my bowel. But I need them so I just have to sort it out when I finish them. I take a probiotic mabevarine and fybergel every morning. If I get really bad pain I take paracetamol and a hot water bottle. If you start to get any worse phone your DR and speak to them. I hope you feel better soon 
    • Posted

Hi Susan

I've just got out of hospital because the pain was so bad .

I also take a probiotic and mebeverine . I was on Fibogel for years but find

lactulose works better for me.I'm going to ask my GP for Bentyl .

Paracetamol is like taking sweets for me , I'm on oramorph and codeine .

Thanks

• Posted

I take 60mg of codeine up to 4 times a day plus the oramorph

which is a lot . I find if I have a little fat in my diet e.g. box of micro chips ,

shouldn't really have them but hey ho , I go for a BM every 2nd day .

Start with a low dose and see how you go . Dr can give you co - codomol

which is codeine and paracetamol combined .

• Posted

Thank you my DR did give me co- codamol but I haven't taken any yet. I might try tonigh   I might get a good nights sleep for a change 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.