Diverticulitis, colonoscopy results and possible flare up?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was diagnosed with diverticulitis in September 2019. I went to ER with stomach pain, which was similar to the pain I experienced with kidney stones, except I could not pin point the exact place. Upon arriving, I did not have a fever and my WBC were only slightly above normal range. I was given FLAGYL and CIPRO (And hydrocodone-which I did not take. Followed up with colonoscopy on 5 Dec. which showed diverticulosis in the sigmoid and descending colon. Removal of (A) 2 10-15 mm polyps-piecemeal in transverse colon and (B) 9 mm polyp in sigmoid colon. Results (A) colonic mucosa with hyperplastic, serrated gland, one piece is dysplastic - (B) colonic mucosa hyperplastic, serrated.

The past few days I have been having the similar pain which originally sent me to the ER. No fever or other symptoms I am reading about. PMC doctor just went out of practice-have not been reassigned yet. No follow provided from gastrointestinal dr other than repeat colonoscopy in 6 months. Results provided on hospital portal-no explanation/guidance provided. If the pain is diverticulitis-can it go away on it’s own if I gut through pain? Are results worrisome? 50 yr old female-5’5, 150 lbs, 25 BMI, history of kidney stone, switched from cigarettes to vaping (lowest nicotine) 7 yrs ago, ADHD, insomnia. Looking for guidance. Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

there is a big difference between diverticulosis and diverticulitis. i was diagnosed with diverticulitis in 2012. You must take the abti biotics pain will inly get worse the more you eat. my flare ups got so bad and i had list so much weight that in 2016 i went fir colorectal surgery to cut out the part of my colon that was diseased. it was a 4 month recovery but i have never looked back. there is a risk of perforation if the infection gets bad. . Please check what you have though diverticulosis is symptomless. good luck its a nasty disease i managed fir 4 years but decided eating only soft foods wasnt fir me. Stay away from cirn, seeds, nuts, anything that potentially could get stuck.

• Posted

Tessygirl,

Thank you for the reply. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis when I went to the ER in September, for which I was given antibiotics. The colonoscopy confirmed the location(s) of the diverticula (diverticulosis). I can fill the pain building, similar to the pain I had in September, but I don’t want to run to the hospital if the infection could resolve itself (without antibiotics) or possibly something else. Given that I can still “live with the pain”, do I wait until it gets worse? What is the likelihood it could reoccur so quickly? I was completely shocked with the diagnosis in September, especially since I did not have a fever and/or the “typical” signs associated with an infection. I have a high tolerance for pain so I am unsure at what point I should seek medical attention, since I am still without a primary care physician at this point. The selection in my area is lacking.

• Posted

Hi April, so similar we are. Been to ER 3 times with horrible pain. finally on 3rd visit they did and upper and lower colonoscopy. found diverticulitis and gastritis. no antibiotics. just pain pills and reduce stress in your life. Where is your pain April?

• Posted

actually l was diagnosed with diverticuliosis. don't know the difference between osis and itis. Please respond.

• Posted

For me I could not get through a flare up without anti biotics, I was told my bowel could perforate if the infection was not cleared. I used to stop eating for 3 days just liquid and with the anti biotics it would eventually clear up. Its fair to say the anti biotics made me feel worse than the disease itself. Having had so many flare ups I would not wait for it to get worse, if you perforate its an emergency surgery and risks are obviously higher. I was three months clear of a flare up when I had the surgery.

The difference between diverticulosis and diverticulitis is that most people have diverticlae which are small pockets on the colon. They are usually symptomless and you are generally unaware you have them. Divertculitis is when they become inflamed and once this has happened, usually after a serious bout of constipation they are always at risk of inflammation and you either choose to live with the disease or do what I did and go for surgery to cut out the infected part of the colon.

• Posted

wow. My first experience with this. can't eat. Food makes me nauseous and builds up in my stomach. Making me miserable for days. Please let me know what l am up against. l have fought breast cancer and skin cancer. This I'm finding very hard and unpredictable. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Lori I am sorry to hear you have been through so much. if you only have diverticulosis that should not cause the problems that diverticulitis causes. I still have some diverticulosis and am symptom free. Maybe you have IBS like me I now get the syptoms you are getting and control them with diet. Perhaps speak to your doctor as I am not medical and can only go by my own experience. To avoid getting diverticulitis avoid lots of straining on the toilet and try to avoid becoming constipated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.