Diverticulitis diet

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am sorry to moan here but you might understand how I feel. I have had stomach problems since October of last year. I have seen EIGHT doctors so far, and diverticulitis has been found, although they have not actually told me what it is I am suffering with. I thought the symptoms were finally clearing up after two months of work. Today my wife and I went out for lunch, which was nothing special, but tonight, I have been doubled up with stomach pain to the point of tears, and stuck in the bathroom for over an hour, unable to straighten up, and suffering with extremely loose motions which literally exploded out of me (Sorry to be so descriptive). The doctors have never given me any information as regards dietry needs, or how to control the symptoms. I have even considered changing my doctors because of this. I am at my wits end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Buggybill im sorry to hear ur going through a terrible time at the moment. I no what ur going through i had the same thing that you have now about a month ago,my first time was in Nov last i was in hospital for 3 days. Like u the doc told me nothing about diverticulitis, i got some information on here, go to julie1040 she has some great advice. Did you have the camera put down im waiting to get called for that. Im keeping a diary writing everything down that i eat, also drink lots of water. Hope ur feeling better soon
  • Posted

Try to keep a food diary . What did you eat when you went for meal .I can't eat seeds tomtoes cocumber red meat cheese orange juice goes staight though me the hospital told me to stay away from root veg , sweet corn, lemon it's so difficult to keep under control every time I think I have I get a flaire up . I do take acidophilus 20 billion thats putting the good bacteria back into you gut . This is a good forum to be on for god advise

• Posted

I meant to say good advise lol
  • Posted

Honestly, I had a lot more going on with the Diverticulitis, blood in the stools a day and night, chills, fatique, no appetite. I never had any diarrhea until I started the anitbiotics and the liquid diet. Did you have a CTscan to confirm DD, if not maybe it is something else. If you ahven't already maybe you need to see a GI doctor. Sorry for what you are going through, it is so frustrating.

• Posted

I don't eat nuts, seeds or popcorn.  I also limit my intake of insoluble fiber.  I don't believe a high fiber diet is the answer to this disease.  A high fiber diet may stop the pockets from forming but once they are formed I think fiber irritates the bowel.  IMHO

• Posted

Everyone has a different view point so a food diary is a must as sometimes I end up eating a food three times before I figure out my body has issues with it.  I prefer all natural, no processed foods, oatmeal (with nor sugar and gf), avacado, celery.  If I keep my bowls moving I have no issues.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.