Diverticulitis - Diverticulosis Flare up or not

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im not new on here, I love this site, has helped me stay sane knowing I’m not alone. But right now I could really use some help, advice. Am I having a Flare up or not. I was diagnosed in Feb 2018 with diverticulitis and small abscess,did one month antibiotics and probiotics,all the right things as far as diet. But developed major anxiety and panic, was afraid to eat anything lost 34 lbs, but got better and was diagnosed with just Diverticulosis, now 4 months out I have major diarrhea, nausea, lower back pain left side along with burning feeling and twinges in lower ab. No fever, no blood in stools just mucus. Went on the whole liquid, soft diet , but no relief. My blood work, Can Scan, Endoscopy are all normal no signs of flare up. No C-diff , tomorrow I see my Dr, to do full stool tests to rule out IBS, Candida, SUDD, and going to insist on colonoscopy. But in the meantime I’m suffering and so worried, any advice on what to do would be great, or has anyone else experienced this? What helps with the diarrhea, the eating is the hardest, doesn’t matter what I eat still goes right through me, Does anyone use GSE, Collagen, Aloe Vera Juice, Golden Milk, probiotics? Please let me know kinds and how much a day.? There is so much advice out there it’s so confusing what to use or not to use. Ty

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I burn a white bread toast in the toaster. Make sure it gets pretty burned. Eat that and your diarrhea will stop. This might help .
  • Posted

Hi there, I can totally emoathise with you I have been ill for a month four hospital stays, so many antibiotics, home now on low residue diet still in inflamation pain, drugs play havoc with our stomachs and the anxiety about eating is just horrible, I now have a plan with my Dr here in England. Using a traffic light system, red pain and discomfort, go on liquid diet.

Amber Left hand feeling shivery and not well go and have a blood test which checks infection and inflamation markers I get the result back the next day, green if in infection straight to A and E, it is possible to have diverticular pain without infection. I have just bought a current book coping with diverticulits ( soothe and heal your gut ) Peter Cartwright. Found this very helpful, also have you tried mindfulness its supposed to destress you which inthink helps. I didnt realse cheese was not good for our stomachs,    I have just started on 5ml of Aloe Vera Juice which is good for imflamation. I think this site is great to I am 54 and have had this disease for 20years it has now progressed to abcesses and bleeding and is now fulmblown diverticulitis all very confusing. Hope this helps good luck 🙂

• Posted

Thank you for the awesome advice, I learned to do mindfulness, meditation and breathing exercises. I to take 5ml Aloe Vera Juice daily. After being into this for 4 months, was doing so good on diet, then out of nowhere I get this diarrhea, ab burning and pain left side one back. Did not know you can have symptoms without it being a flare up or infection. I have learned a lot about the mind and gut, Ihorrible disease this is. I will definitely check out the readings of Peter Cartwright. Thank you, so hope you get feeling better soon, let’s keep in touch and share info, diet, probiotics ect. God bless
    • Posted

Several have said they use Aloe Vera Juice, what does this do for you?

• Posted

Touch wood, I have not had a flare up since last November, but I do have diarrhea all the time. Strangely fibre seems to make it worse and  I am very cautious about what I eat.  It is deppressing at times  especially when eating out.  This past month I have been taking Slippery Elm capsules  and my stomach seems to be more comfortable so I will continue to take them.  I just wish that the diarrhea would go away! 
    • Posted

ty, can you take slippery elm and Aloe Vera Juice together? I did Imodium once for diarrhea but Dr is going to prescribe Questran, I’m going to try that. In mean time I just eat the soft diet, just added chicken and salmon, and spinach to diet. Learning to do smoothies so I can get my nutrition. And get on a probiotic.Do you take probiotics? If so which one is best? So many to choose from. Also going to try the Low FODMAT diet with DD diet. I just have to get over being afraid to eat. Thank you Lyn. 
    • Posted

I don't know  whether slippery elm and aloe vera can be taken together Vickie.  I also take a peppermint oil tablet once a day.  Although I have had the diarrhoea a long time, my stomach seems more comfortable since taking these supplements.  Like you I am so wary about what I eat it is so frustrating!  

• Posted

Welcome to the world of diverticulitis.  I finally had open sigmoid colectomy surgery and am free of all your experiencing. It's an option to have explored.

• Posted

Scared to go that route , but will definitely do it if needed. Glad you are better. 😉

• Posted

When I had diarrhea caused from antibiotics I took the probiotic Florestor.  It really helped balance my system.

I think a colonoscopy may be what u must insist on. 

I know if a woman who has many if your symptoms with non of the above but has pain too!  She said she thinks her doctors think she has gone crazy.  So I understand your frustration.  Prayers for answers.🙏

• Posted

Yes I took Floastor while on antibiotics also, back in Feb,I was told should be on probiotics still, but don’t know which one, so many to choose from. I do Aloe Vera Juice daily, eat the soft food diet still, so bland. Had my stool tests done today, and set up with GI Dr to see about the colonoscopy In mean time I’ll try anything to help with the pain and diarrhea discomfort, so any ideas are very needed. Thank you Madeline. 
    • Posted

Good luck and keep us posted. It’s frustrating and fearful but it’s all about managing this disease.🤗

• Posted

Mucus is tough..I'll sometimes have it also for weeks on end..I have used Align in the past and can reccomend that. Its pricey, but seemed to work well. What if you stuck with a simple diet for a few days..Scrambled eggs, dry toast, chix broth, beef broth,teas, cold pops, probiotoc yogurt, jello, clear fruit juices..Have you tried that and not seen inprvment? I think insisting on a colonscopy, stool test, maybe blood work would be best too..Not sure your age, but Im seeing my OB soon to have them look at my scans and results so make sure there isnt any connection to thise organs making things worse..

• Posted

Has anyone heard of Paul De'Arco tea? Ive also tried that. Not sure if it was coincidence but I got over my last flare soon after having a few cups of that..

• Posted

Cannot do eggs or dairy, I stick with cream of wheat white toast, pancakes, potatoes 🥔 🍠 yams, beef or chicken bone broth, rice, spinach, soup and crackers, salmon , carrots and canned fruit or smoothies. I do a variety of teas and 1cp coffee a day. Plus Aloe Vera Juice daily. I will definitely try Align, thank you. I bought a DD pain free foods book, but don’t like it, so I am going to try Low FodMat diet. Along with some GSE

• Posted

I am going gluten free, yeast free, and Low FODMAT diet till all my tests come in and I insisted my Dr do a food intolerance allergy tests. I see new GI Dr in 2 weeks to go over everything  and do colonoscopy. Just hate playing the waiting game not knowing and being in pain with icky bowels. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.