Diverticulitis flare up

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can you tell right away which foods caused your flareup or can it happen the next day? My Husband is on a soft foods diet since healing from his first flare up. We are introducing one food at a time to see if he has any issues? Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

On my fourth day after earning just chicken soup I ate a little bit of mushrooms and I felt those made me sick right away. I’ve been eating cesar salads with chicken the whole week and I’ve felt fine. I ate steamed salmon and carrots with brown rice as well. 
  • Posted

I added broccoli cooked well to my carrots and I had it for several days in a row to see how it reacted.  I did fine the first 2 days but it did bother me by the third day.  When I met with the dietitian she immediately said that I did not need to be eating broccoli yet.  What I would like is a list of what I should eat at first and what to graduate to.  From what I have learned  it seems carrots, green beans, potatoes of all kinds, cooked spinach and kale roasted in the oven or steamed or heated in the microwave are all fine but broccoli, cauliflower, onions and peppers are not. 

I think it may be that sometimes I can eat something and not have a reaction and then I can eat it again and may have trouble.  OR it  can cause a set back.  I have had a set back simply from not knowing what to eat.  It really takes a lot of research on our part to understand this DD.  I suggest you do a lot of reading on this forum to find out what has helped others.

Be very careful at the beginning.  I am in my 5th week from the set back and I am still being very careful.  I was told no raw fruits or raw vegetables yet.  You can look at canned fruit.  Peaches and pears worked well in the early days for me.

You will find help on this forum.

• Posted

Do you start hurting if you eat something you’re not supposed to ? That is my case right this moment. I am not sure if I should go back to the ER or just wait. This is my second week and I

Am in desperate need of much help.

• Posted

What did you eat? Maybe you can call your doctor for Antibiotics, and should definitely start fasting right away. I heard making a tea with carroway seeds might help too, but only if you catch it right away
    • Posted

Dan I thought when I saw your post that you probably should not be eating that Cesar salad yet.  That could be what set off your attack.  Yes the wrong food can set it off if it is not completely healed to begin with.  This happened to me when I had a certain food and it seemed fine at the time but the next day I was having another attack.   I suggest you do call the Dr.  You may need antibiotics and a clear liquid diet right off.  Remember if the pain is really bad it is not something to play around with. 

Don't be discouraged.  If it is something as simple as you ate raw salad too soon that is definitely something you can avoid for awhile in the future.  Remember we on the forum are just like you. Normal people who suffer with the same issues of DD but we are not medical professionals.  I know from reading all the posts on the forum while I was in an attack and in the recliner with a heating pad that things do happen that are very serious and require medical help.  Don't forget that today.  If the pain is severe as much as you hate to do it - get medical help.  Going to clear liquids will not hurt you and it will help you rest your colon.  

Hope it will heal fast!

• Posted

The food which caused me to have a major bleed ( 4 units of blood needed) was artichoke. Obviously ate some of the nasty little spines. When first diagnosed in 2005 my GP said be very cautious of fiber and treat fiber advice with caution. Experiment cautiously to find what suits you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.