Diverticulitis/ food ideas

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! So I suffered my first diverticulitis attack on Christmas Day and am ready to start eating something others than soups. My question is... I hear stories that lettuce is not a good thing to eat and I love salads so is that a true statement and if so what about romaine lettuce? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Watch lettuce a little longer and when u do opt for soft lettuce like Bibb.  Red meats too are hard to digest. I limit them. I eat ground meats and only tender cuts. A crockpot meal is good. Everything cooks well.  Take it easy and introduce foods slowly. It takes time for your intestines to quiet.
  • Posted

Hi Bruce

Stay away from raw veggies they are hard to digest. Do light meals like chicken soup and always cooked veggies. If you are tolerant of dairy eat some yogurt. The lighter the better until your bowels adjust. Keep in mind that when a patient has pancreatitis the hospital only allows sibbing on ice chips. So that should give you an indication of what your body can handle.  DD is complicated and trial and error with food is essential. Eat lithely. And get lots of sleep. Best of luck. 

• Posted

Hi Bruce,

Feel better my friend. It’s all a trial and error since everybody is different. Personally I have found that boiled beets are amazing to sooth my lower intestine. A little at a time works for me but your body is different than mine. Best of luck and feel better. Get lots of sleep. Sharon 

• Posted

I personally can't eat any lettuce .  I love salad but it's a no no for me   I do manage tomatoes as long as I take the skins off and deseed them 

• Posted

Google Divi Diners ..lots of suggestions there ,all from other sufferers. It's a hard forum to find on here, but it will help you . I know,,, I started it,,,, and was really glad I did. Maybe the Moderators will give us access to it again, ????  

• Posted

Thank you, Jacqueline.  I looked up Divi Diners and found the info you referred to in your answer.  This is exactly the information I am looking for at the moment.  As I researched food options online after my October 2017 attack, I was discouraged at the lack of consistent information on "safe to eat" diverticulitis food.  So I will read through the info, but wanted to let you know that I appreciate the discussion your started.  

• Posted

Hi Ashley,, so glad you found it, ,as you see you most certainly are not on your own .I started the Divi Diners four years ago ,in a state of WHAT TO EAT, As you see ,it is a very long forum, but we had a good time ,with the flow of ideas and suggestions,,and lots of fun,  sufferers joined in from all over the the world. .  hope you no longer get stressed over food , the initial "Diet " sheet we are all given was quite frightening, enough  to make everybody Anorexic.   Hope you have Book marked it ,as it has been buried  ,, Happy  chomping smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.