diverticulitis foods to avoid

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I have it, had my fiirst two fare ups in the past 2 months. Was wondering if it is partly due to my change of diet. I'm now a vegan and I do consume parlly crushed nuts, flax seeds and onions to name some of the food I eat. I have lost 9 kilos. Was wondering if there is a list of what suffers are finding the best to eat and the best not to eat. Love to see other peoples food diarys. Maybe we can form a huge list that narrows down what we all should be consuming.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I eat (Breakfast) porridge with bran berrys and blackberrys, (lunch) usually fruit, (dinner) is a sort of stir fry, carrots, broccoli, onions, mushrooms, tumerac, ginger powder, crushed nuts, flaxseeds (have been whole not powdered) kale and zucchini.
  • Posted

Your diet does sound very high in roughage; although healthy perhaps such a lot of fibre is irritating your colon? 

I was recently diagnosed with diverticular disease and am really struggling with the management of it.  Have tried high fibre, low fibre, avoiding fodmaps but I can't find any co-relation with my symptoms despite keeping a very detailed food diary. I'm vegetarian although do eat a little fish now and then.

Apparently, one's diet is a very personal thing and what will upset one sufferer will be fine for another. Not very helpful!

• Posted

Hello   I have IBS and recently after a colonscopy was found to have both diverticular disease and internal hemmeroids.  Fortunately I don't have diverticulitis so far.  The symptoms of both IBS and Diverticular disease are similar so difficult to know if a particular food is causing trouble for which reason.  It is a matter of trial and error though.  It is true that some people react to too much fibre with cramps and bloating and even constipation and that none of us want.  I do wonder before this did you have normal bowel movements ot a tendency to either constipation or diarreah as this may affect what foods and amounts you can tolerate.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  

• Posted

Although seeds used to be a no-no for DD, doctors now say that they are harmless.    I have had an allotment for 3 years, growing lots of raspberries, strawberries and peas and tomatoes, all of which I love.   I am convinced that eating  these delicious things  causes flare ups.   Now  I do not eat anything with seeds or tough skin and avoid any raw vegetable.  I supplement the lack of fibre by taking 'Regucol' every day.

• Posted

Can I ask what fruits and vegetables you eat and do you eat wholemeal bread and how much.  I am still at the learning stage trying to work what works for IBS,hemerrhoids and diverticular preventative diet.  When I just had the IBS I did have flare ups but could not always relate it to food.  It was usually but not always constipation which was made worse by anxiety.  Yes I have been told by my gp that seeds are fine but not sure if they affect me.  I do eat tomatoes, raspberries and strawberries.
    • Posted

I do eat wholemeal bread and white bread.  I eat all vegetables except peas, sweercorn, tomatoes, unless deseeded, cucumber, unless deseeded.  I eat all fruit, except those with seeds, which is quite hard, even bananas have loads of seed. I also avoid anything with a tough skin unless it is peeled.  

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I only eat wholemeal bread but brands do vary in the amount of fibre and I try to stick to one but I have wondered whether the higher fibre ones (which taste better) makes the constipation worse or is it the amount.  I usually have 2 large slices a day sometimes 3.  Peas don't seem to be a problem but don't eat them that often.  I don't particularly like sweetcorn but I do love tomatoes and cucumber.  I eat most fruits including berries.  I am so frightened of getting constipated again that I am loathe to remove too much fibre from my diet.  Of course everyone is different.  I will just keep on trying to work out what suits me best.

• Posted

I eat apples, grapes, pinapple and bananas. I'm still learing as well. I'm a male of 65 yrs young. Have had a niggle for about 2 years, but had what I percieved as twoeo flare ups a month apart. Each only lasted for 60 seconds. I have heard nuts and seeds don't have an impact but not sure ye. I did go paleo about 2 months ago and introduced flax seeds and cruched nuts.

• Posted

I'm trying gluten free and dairy free wholemeal bread but not daily just to break up the plant based diet. I have lost 15 kilos in two months and was wondering if the lack of a fat gut has impacted on my symptom.

• Posted

I do not eat any type nuts or seeds. It seems even bananas are bad. I have both IBS and Diverticulosis and suffer from Diverticulitis at least 2 to 3 times a year for 10 years. At the start maybe one attack a year and then a year without and the last few years more. Most recently in February of this year. It was the WORST attack and I was hospitalized.

At this stage I am definitely avoiding any seeds. As in tomatoes and cucumbers too! I personally think it's two things that cause my flair ups. One being an accumulation of hard to digest foods like beef and repeated IBS episodes. I try to stay away from carbonated beverages. The gas in the beverages sometimes trigger an IBS attack. It seems it causes bloating , pain and an immediate trip to bathroom. Very embarrassing when you are out and must find a restroom immediately!

I hope this little bit of information has helped. It causes much anxiety.

Right st the moment I am pretty good but I am seeing a surgeon on Wednesday to get an evaluation and colonoscopy.

• Posted

I eat all of those fruits you mentioned.  Apparently melon is ok as well.  I have decided to leave out strawberries and raspberries although I am not sure it they caused any problems with me.  The jury seems to be out regarding seeds and nuts.  Some doctors still advise that but most say you can eat foods with seeds.  About 2 weeks a go I had a fried egg which is some I seldon do and I was in pain with bloating and wind for most of the day.  This morning I decided to try scrambled egg and the same thing happened but only last about 90mins.  I understand that tht egg yolks are a trigger for IBS which I have but they never bothered before I had the colonoscopy and the diagnosis of divercular.  Eggs in cakes etc don't seems to worry me as I often make rock cakes.  I will be 70 later this year.  Like you I will just plod on trying to find out what foods I can eat and what causes problems.  Hope you soon settle down to a diet that suits you.

• Posted

Yes Madeline, I think that those little seeds and hard bits definately have something to do with my attacks, and I am not willing to risk eating them again!  I also do not drink anything carbonated.  I do not suffer any pains between attacks but when I have one I would say the pain is similar to childbirth!  I have been admitted to hospital on one occassion.  Now I keep a supply of antibiotics ready for the next one.  My last attack was in January, since then I do not eat seeds, nuts or peas and have not had another.  I think that anxiety and stress also play a role in this disease and I have a lot of that in my life at the moment.  Fingers crossed, it doesn't bring one on.

• Posted

Raw vegetables are a no no for me. Soft cooked carrots and most soft cooked veggies. Ground beef. I stay away from seeds, nuts and hard to digest meats. Also if you have IBS watch carbonated beverages. They are a trigger. I've found repeated IBS attacks encourage diverticulitis. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm not a big drinker of water so am going to try and drink fluids at every meal to maybe help with the movment thru the colun

• Posted

No nuts

No seeds

No carbonated beverages

No raw veggies

No steak of any kind( ground meat I eat)

Limited amounts of licorice

Lettuce( I do eat soft leaf on occasion)

No skins!!! That's a big one( they do not digest)

I find green beans(have strings) they don't digest)

I have both IBS and diverticulosis. I seem to get my attacks in January and July. Always need antibiotics. This is a tough battle. Hope my suggestions help someone.

• Posted

Thanks for your list. I'm erring on Vegan but I note the no nuts and seeds. Going to send a longer notice to this whole thread shortly 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.