Diverticulitis or no?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been feeling off for the last few weeks and had a trip to the ER due to abdominal pain. It eased as quickly as it came on but was in pain for a couple hours. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 5 years ago and have been feeling very off lately. Naesous , belly pain and my bowel movements have been all over the place. I have to race to the loo then I get constipated. My bowel movements have been quite mucosy, no blood. I had an ultrasound on abdo and pelvis and all was normal as was bloods. Does anyone else have flare ups that don't always require antibiotic treatment but still feel off for a few weeks?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes, unfortunately way more often than I would like. I usually try to do 2 days of liquids and rest followed by 2-3 weeks low residue diet. Most of the time it works but I can feel off for weeks. Sorry you are going through this Kylie.

Julie

• Posted

thankyou for your reply, I've been a bit anxious thinking I have bowel or colon cancer because I feel so off. Its been a few weeks now and admittedly over the easter break I ate everything available to me but now I'm paying for it.

• Posted

hi kylie

I'm in same boat, six weeks now if feeling awful in my bowel, like colitis, loose stool, nausea, low back and leg pain. I'm terrified I have the worst thing going on. I too was told 5 years ago I have diverticulitis but I've never felt this bad. I had a recent ct scan of abdomen which was clear and clear bloods , but I'm petrified something was missed on ct. had a colonoscopy year and half ago which was fine. my mind is in a terrible state with worry. its impossible to do normal daily stuff feel so tired all the time. get bad pain in lower abdom8 when I wake up, have to rush to loo, bowel just mucous mush. I hope we all find out that we are ok, it's so hard at moment, no hope of colonoscopy because of covid 19. let me know how you get on .try motillium, I find it helps a bit with nausea.

• Posted

Hi Kate

Sorry you are feeling so rotten, I certainly know how you feel. I can't get a Colonoscopy anytime soon due to Covid 19 so just have to try and stay calm and not think the worst. I actually feel hungover or have bad morning sickness all day. I think stress makes things worse though. I'm just so keen to feel normal again. The doctor prescribed Stemetil for the nausea. Thankyou x

• Posted

it's awful, are you able to eat, have you had a colonoscopy or ct in last few years, some people say a liquid diet helps, but I think knowing what's causing the pain and discomfort by way of endoscopy is the only way for peace of mind, wish you well and a return to good health soon.

• Posted

Thankyou and I hope the same for you also. I had an endoscopy about 6 months ago which showed only mild gastritis. I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago which diagnosed Diverticulitis. I really don't feel like eating lately and have been eating only bland food.

• Posted

that's a coincidence because I also had an endoscopy done in February this year which showed gastritis too, I was totally off food, lost 5 kilos very fast, appetite came back but not as strong. then by start of march all this bowel stuff started and now I'm at point where I'm in pain and nausea every day, sleep with the help of tablets. Do you think it's possible for gastritis to cause inflammation in bowel, it's just seems to have happened same way to you.

tks for taking time to reply Kylie.

• Posted

That is interesting. I haven't lost weight but have no appetite and am off coffee which I usually love. I have been raking Somac for the gastritis but have stopped raking it the last couple of days because I thought maybe that was making me gassy. It really is hard to know what helps and what doesn't, it's really just trial and error isn't it? Maybe you are onto something, gastritis may be a contributing factor to our bowel issues.

• Edited

Hi Guys!

I also have had a dx of gastritis about 5-6 years ago when I was going through a very stressful time in my life--lost my job, had to retrain, etc. Then last week I was diagnosed with diverticulitis from the ER and CT scan. Very vague symptoms, almost like left ovarian pain--the vicinity of where my ovary would be, and lots of having to go to the bathroom #1. Anyway, I do think that once the gut is inflamed, that various things can crop up whether it be upper GI or lower GI. In my case, I have PTSD and some anxiety over various things--to which I had 5 years of therapy which did a world of good for my anxiety. I think my body on a cellular level has issues with inflammation of the GI tract. So, perhaps they go hand in had, but do not think one causes the other. There is a book called the Brain and Psychology syndrome, kind of like the brain-gut connection we hear about.

So I have a brilliant treatment of my gastritis which also works for the diverticulitis. A supplement called Slippery Elm. I was taking the capsules, but I now empty 2 capsules into my cup of Diverticulitis Tea--bought on Amazon and it works wonders on the gastritis and I heard it may help with diverticulitis because it strengthens the mucosal layer, organically.

Hope you feel better soon !

• Posted

I have heard of Slippery Elm, at this point I'm willing to give anything a go. Thankyou

• Edited

HI Kylie. The other thing is that the Slippery Elm is very inexpensive. 100 capsules for under $10 USD. It has been a life saver.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.