Diverticulitis or something else.. please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagonosed with polyps in colon about 10 yrs ago after having a flare up of Diverticulitis which up until then my hospital /Dr had not informed me that i had polyps :-(  since then i have been fine until easter this year. i started having pain down my left hand side and into my groin where i was having acute stabbing pain. i gave it 2 weeks for it to subside but it didnt..i went to the Dr and was told its a gastric bug..take yackult and eat healthy... since doing that the symtoms have got worse with nausea until a point where i completely went off my food for 2-3 days i then visited the Drs again which i was then told that it was diverticulitis. i was put on antibiotics and told to contact the practice if things got any worse...after a week of these and still hardly eating anything i decided i would try a normal meal ( pie and chips - low fibre easy to digest) that night i was in pain with my side and couldnt sleep properly and contacted the Dr again. i have had a different set of antibiotics and told to try and eat if i can and come back next week ......i am at my wits end... besides feeling nauseuas constantly. not had a proper bowel movement in nearly a month and pain in my side on and off.. i just dont know what else to do.. i feel i am on my own and fighting a losing battle. ive lost nearly 10kgs in weight and most of the time im in a daze and just feel so weak.. i dont know what else i can say or do.. this has been going on for what feels like months now.... can anyone help or give any advice.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i know exactly how you feel.. I was diagnosed 13mths ago and received no help since. I cant eat properly go Toilet properly and get regular blowting and pains (lower left) i regularly pass wind unexpectedly. Im in the process of changing doctors . Im a long distance lorry driver which is a bit awkward at times.
  • Posted

You mentioned you not been toilet for nearly one month?! Does you doctor know this? You might be faecal impacted. Symptom would be the obvious constipation but you can also get overflow diarrhea. You would feel nauseous and have pain as well. If this could be the cause you will need tons of laxatives. If you can't see your doctor today please go again. I have a feeling this might be what you got but I'm no doctor so. I took plenty of movicol with plenty of water. Like 6 sachets in a day. There's no restrictions on how many to take. Some may need more. It takes a few days to clear out the intestine but the nausea went after one day and I could start eating again. Good luck!
    • Posted

I have tried to go to the toilet but virtually nothing comes out as ive been trying to force myself to eat toast or corn flakes. He took bloods off me yesterday and told me to come back next week. Since my post i have experienced shooting pain into my left side of chest when i press my lower left hand side area too.
  • Posted

Hello

I would advise you to get your self down to the Hospital ASAP 

im not a medical person but a fellow suffer with DD.

Your Dr doesn't seem to know or care about me DD

K

• Posted

I've now tried 3 times to reply but website doesn't allow it on my BlackBerry. I'm trying again from my tablet. It may hurt when you press down because you have diverticulitis. Try pressing on other side of tummy. Better still close you eyes and get someone else to press. Make note of when or if it hurts. If it hurts there too, make no delay but go a and e straight away. I know you said your doctors taken blood. Unless surgery is open over weekend any abnormalities will not be reported until when they open up again. Go a and e and they process it straight away. I think you are constipated with diverticulitis which is not uncommon. You needsome one to better advice you and asses you than the doctor you've seen. I would drill it home that you lost 10 kg in a month to the tending doctor in a and e. I'm sure you are malnourished and dehydrated.and not only so you need to be proper investigated to ensure there's nothing else going on in your guts causing weight loss, pain and constipation. Please go hospital. I don't think you should wait any longer but get yourself checked in and rehydrated, pain releived and seen too. Good luck! Let us know how you get on. I pray you get the help you need. Best wishes
    • Posted

Currently in hosital on a drip! Bloods taken awaiting xray but the docs expecting all to be clear ........ I give up 😕
    • Posted

It's good you took my advice to go to the A&E

You are at least on a drip and being tested

They should be able to advise what is the way forward

That is more than your GP gave

Never give up.

You may think it's the end of the line

but I can assure you present problems will ease

We have all been there at various stages with the Dammed DD

We are always here to assist each other

K

• Posted

I'm glad to hear you getting fluids. Xray will show if you got any constipation too. Make sure you get clear guide lines on how to get guts cleared out before you get sent home. I think they may keep you to rehydrate you but if not you got to make sure the weight loss and constipation gets addressed. Please ask for a endo or even coloscopy after the pain subsides. As you had polyps in past it may be worthwhile having a fresh look. Hope you feel better soon. Hang in there, there will be better days!
  • Posted

Hope you feel better and although you're in A&E at least you are now in the right place.  Make sure you drink plenty of fluids in you on a daily basis.  If you don't like plain water then maybe try to get some cut up fruit in with the water which will taste better.  See if they can also refer you to a dietician or nutritionist to help find the right balance for you when you're on the road
  • Posted

hi guys. i just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the support and the help... i came out of hospital last night ...they are booking a Full CT colon scan and a camera up the bum ( cant remember the name of it )  the pain has subsided for now and i have started to eat again and im slowly getting back to normal( so far , so good )   but i want to say that without the replys and advice on here i dont know what i would of done next ... you guys have been more supportive than my own DR..  so once again..thanks for the help and support
    • Posted

Hope the results prove successful and that you come away with some kind of guidance going forward.  Try to get them to refer you to a dietician.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.