Diverticulitis pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, having a flare up and pain is awful, enough to keep me off work. Dr has given me antibees and I have taken cocodamol ( not recommended but pain is feally bad ). Can anyone tell me why it is so much worse at night and in the morning? My pain is mostly in my lower back and hip, making movements excruciating. My hubby had to help me out of bed. Then when I eventually got downstairs, the pain was so bad he had to  pick me off the kitchen floor this morning.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry that your pain is so intense. I had horrible pain in my hip as well. The emergency room gave me a prescription for pain pills.. they did say it's a painful infection. You do need bed rest and fluids.. take it super easy and if the pain gets worse or tou spike a fever call the dr. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi

I am in month 4 of recovery after the latest flare up, and still have pain in the areas you describe, although it has reduced from the awful initial swamping pain (done the rolling on the floor in agony bit!).  I find my pain gets worse, the fuller my bowels are.  I guess that's why so many people are scared to eat with this disease.  So first thing in the morning is worse, but after I've had a bowel movement or six, the pain reduces, then slowly builds up during the day and evening.  I've also just seen my osteopath for an unrelated problem and she suggested my back pain was related to the tension that DV puts on all the muscles in the lower body.  She described is as though the lower body was put in a vice and all the muscles complain.  So I'm trying a combination of massage and hot water bottles, to try and relax the muscles.  I've also started taking pure Aloe Vera juice (15ml twice a day) as others say it helps to reduce the pain.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Aloe Vera has helped me a lot. Also very improtant to drink plenty of water Consutantant recomended 2 litres a day Tea and coffee do not count towards this. I manage this most days and this has also relieved the constaption.
    • Posted

I'm pleased to say that after 5 days of Aloe Vera the bloating has gone, and the pain just a twinge 1st thing in the morning.  All I drink is water and decaffeinated tea, on my doctor's recommendation, but not I must admit 2 litres.  I still have nightmares about downing 3 litres of Moviprep and water before my colonoscopy!  I also take a 0% fat probiotic supplememnt drink.  So overall finally feeling better.

• Posted

Pleased to hear you have found Aloe vera helps. I still find the improvment I have is unbelivable. It is good juice is all I can say.
    • Posted

Felinia this disease you can manage it. I do and use a daily regiment of psyllium every day.

Psyllium is mainly used as a dietary fiber to relieve symptoms of both constipation and mild diarrhea and occasionally as a food thickener. Research has also shown benefits in reducing cholesterol levels.

The plant from which the seeds are extracted tolerates dry and cool climates and is mainly cultivated in northern India. Psyllium products are marketed under several brand names, such as Metamucil, Fybogel, Konsyl, and Lunelax.

• Posted

Keep your stress levels low. Keep diet, exercise, and weight in check and you can beat this disease. Again I have been through all the same stuff. When you have an outbreak you feel like somebody stuck a knife in your left side and is holding it. This disease is manageable and you work on those items above along with Metamucil everyday you will beat it.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi

Unfortunately I have been taking Fybogel for 15 years, plus following a gluten free, high fibre, low fat diet, and daily walking, bad hip permitting.  The Consultant told me in this time my disease has gone from moderate to severe, despite my efforts, but the new regime including Aloe Vera and probiotics helps.  

• Posted

Hi Maggie. I had diverticulitis for 6 years and been through all the meds and fiber speech. Frankly, the meds made me sick and I felt so miserable I finally thought surgery was the answer. So I went to surgeon and he told me no surgery. He told me to get Metamucil and you will be fine. Also, stay away from greasy fried foods. Your body will tell you what you can eat. Be your own advocate and keep seeking knowledge.

Since that meeting I have had not one flare up and pain free. I take it twice per day.

• Posted

Maggiemoo It's called the North American diet because we humans consume too much red meat and not enough fiber in our diets. It's really simple go to your local store and get psyllium seed. These fiber supplements provide fiber related benefits to your digestive track. Your colon is the final piece of your small intestine, and psyllium asssits to keep food moving through the colon so you don't become constipated. Psyllium has a laxative effect on your digestive track and the fiber absorbs water which swells as it passes through the colon, bulking your stool and making it easier to have a bowel movement.

Note if the colon is clean you will not have an outbreak of diverticulitis and soluble fiber keeps your colon clean from fecal matter and working properly.

Good luck and keep your head up. Diet, exercise, and stress must be in check for your body to work properly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.