Diverticulitis pain

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I started with a flare a week ago and I’m on my last day of antibiotics today, I was feeling much better yesterday with no pain but today not feeling to good

A mild pain has returned on lower left side, Does anyone else experience this coming to the end of the antibiotics treatment; as I’m getting worried is the infection returning. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just found out I have this yesterday. I took off work two days. I just started antibiotics yesterday. How long should I be off work? I need to go back tomorrow and I will I be OK to return?
    • Posted

Hi

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.  The antibiotics are very strong - the side effects build up and make most people feel lousy.  In addition to the pain, cramps and fever from the attack, you can expect to feel nausea, altered bowel movements, exhausted, depressed, metallic taste, loss of appetite, tenderness or pain on bending/lifting - not necessarily all but a mixture of some.  Most people take at least 2 weeks off work, and some even more because they feel so unwell.  It usually takes 4 - 6 weeks to get over an attack and feel more like normal, but sometimes months.  I did not take time off from my office job, and can remember standing at the photocopier as waves of pain swept over me, totally unable to move.  If you have a manual job, or one that keeps you away from a toilet, you may have problems.

Not wish to sound scaremongering but you will see many posts on here from people all saying the same thing.  There is no quick recovery from this, and it is a condition you will have and need to manage for life.  Again you will get lots of information from this Forum.  Employers are NOT sympathetic to this condition - they seem to think it's just a tummy ache, take a painkiller and all is fine in a couple of days.  It's not.  I've read of people being disciplined or threatened with the sack, because they have taken sick leave over the company time limit policy or been left unable to do heavy work, and it's not illegal.  The best I can suggest is to keep a full written record of all documents, telephone calls, medications, symptoms, and to download the article on this site about Diverticular Disease, a copy for you, your Union and possibly a copy for your employer (take Union advice), so they have some understanding of the condition.  In particular if you live in the USA I am sure sooner or later one of your doctors will suggest surgery.  It doesn't happen in the UK where the condition is managed by drugs, diet and lifestyle changes to reduce stress.  I have lived with this since 2001 - 8 years working and 9 retired.

I hope you are one of the lucky people who do recover quickly, but if you ignore it and carry on as before, you will find the attacks return, and can be with increasing severity.  Now is the time to take action.  Welcome to the world of DD and the best Forum for advice.

• Posted

I’ve been dealing with this now for 5 weeks. I can’t tell you how many misdiagnosis I’ve had. From gas/constipation to a clear colonoscopy 

3 ER visits, 3 cat scans an X-ray two colon preps. I’m probably forgetting something. 

My primary ordered the first cat scan, no dye, to rule out kidney stone and then stated me on antibiotics for diverticulitis. When they were running out she referred me to the gi doc. 

I landed in the ER for the first time. That’s when they said gas and constipation. No relief 

Second trip to the ER and constipation and gas.  Sent home with colon prep. No relief. 

Then my colonoscopy got moved up and the gi doc says no diverticulitis some diverticulosis but o was good on the back end. 

So now this week I land I the ER for my third trip and the cat scan shows it. Diverticulitis. I’m sent home with two antibiotics, 800 mg ibuprofen and Percocet for pain. Today is my third day of being laid up. No real relief yet and I can’t keep missing work. 

I really think that people that haven’t experienced this need a small dose. Even my wife seems annoyed that all I want to do is lay in the fetal position in bed. This has to get better soon. 

• Posted

It is not an easy disease to live with.  However, from a relatively knowledgeable person, when I read what you have been through my thought was, boy if I were him I would get a new doctor and get into a different system.  You deserve better care. It is hard enough to deal with this.
  • Posted

I found this website to help people with addiction but I find myself in this forum because I had it really bad - went to ER twice -- thought my intestines were going to explode!  Here is what happened.  Get the med/ antibiotics to knock the hell out of it.  After your done with the meds you need to only eat wholesome foods.  For me, I was trying to gain weight since I am a weight lifter so I was stuffing myself all day. Bad idea.  First all the food made me back up but I know now that alot of this could have been taken care of if I just started to eat my greens!!!  Google the benefits of eating greens.  I had 3 bouts and was ready to get an operation but I just started to eat better/healthier and it hasn't come back -- been about 3 years now -- and I don't anticipate it coming back since I eat so well now.  Hope that helps..

• Posted

I was wondering what I should eat. I'm having times when I don't know what to eat. I need help in what to eat. I feel so tired some days after work. I go to bed earlier with that issue. I'm thinking it's because of my eating low fiber. Is there a site to help with the best food choices?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.